It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
(male)

tim2012 HB User
incomplete bowel movements

Hi everyone,

I've been having stomach issues for about 5 years now (it just started out of the blue one day) but it seems to be getting worse. I'm in the bathroom at least an hour each time and it can take close to 3 hours total at times and even then there's still a feeling that I'm still not fully relieved. It feels like you have to go yet it just doesn't come out. It doesn't matter if I eat all day or if I eat a piece of bread-same results. I went to my GI doctor and since he diagnosed me with IBS was put on Levbid, which did nothing. Then he tried me on anxiety medication since he thought my issue is that I'm under stress and again, no results. I've had a colonoscopy and had a catscan done of my abdomen and it all came out clear. I've tried lactaid thinking it was a dairy issue, peppermint pills, charcoal pills, Miralax, several probiotics, stool softeners, acidophilus pills, fiber pills, etc. Any suggestions? I hope someone else knows what I'm feeling..not that I would wish these symptoms on anyone.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
(female)

usedtobemodest HB User
Re: incomplete bowel movements

I am new here. I was diagnosed with IBS and have done all the same stuff you have. After 2 years of seeing a gastroenterologist I was finally sent to a colo-rectal surgeon. He diagnosed me with obstructed defecation which has several different names. I have that same feeling of incomplete bowel movements. There is a muscle, the "puborectalis" that is involved and helps straighten the bowel so it empties. It is not functioning correctly so the colon doesn't empty properly, builds up alot of gas which causes alot of extreme lower back pain, alot of spasm after a bowel movement for 20-30 mins. I also have alot of left lower quadrant pain. It's gotten progressively worse the past 2 years. My life is spent on the toilet and yes, I am anxious all the time. I don't socialize much, I am in alot of pain and am very focused on my bowel movements or lack thereof. I do work part-time which is difficult but I need insurance. I also have a bladder disorder and pudendal nerve damage. So, there a more tests to be done in 2 weeks. I have done biofeedback which is a highly recommended treatment for this. I take an anti-anxity med which helps alot, dicylcomine for spasm and a pain med if it's un manageable. So sorry this is so long. This is my first post. I don't know if any of this info has helped but it might be worth looking at for you.

Last edited by usedtobemodest; 06-01-2012 at 11:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
(male)

tim2012 HB User

Thanks for your reply. I scheduled an appointment with a new gastro doctor but she is booked up til the end of September so I'll definitely look into your suggestions. It's annoying to bring up the disorder with doctors and they look at you like you're i'm crazy. Glad there are people on this board that share the same issues! (Although, I'd prefer nobody be plagued with this issue!)

Old 06-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2012 View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been having stomach issues for about 5 years now (it just started out of the blue one day) but it seems to be getting worse. I'm in the bathroom at least an hour each time and it can take close to 3 hours total at times and even then there's still a feeling that I'm still not fully relieved. It feels like you have to go yet it just doesn't come out. It doesn't matter if I eat all day or if I eat a piece of bread-same results. I went to my GI doctor and since he diagnosed me with IBS was put on Levbid, which did nothing. Then he tried me on anxiety medication since he thought my issue is that I'm under stress and again, no results. I've had a colonoscopy and had a catscan done of my abdomen and it all came out clear. I've tried lactaid thinking it was a dairy issue, peppermint pills, charcoal pills, Miralax, several probiotics, stool softeners, acidophilus pills, fiber pills, etc. Any suggestions? I hope someone else knows what I'm feeling..not that I would wish these symptoms on anyone.

Thanks in advance!
This is unfortunately one of the symptoms of IBS. I get it mostly when I have bouts of explosive diarrhea and it can last sometimes for 2 hours or as little as 30 minutes. For me it happens mostly because my digestive tract didn't like what I had to eat in as little as 15 -20 minutes after I finish eating or when I am really stressed or very emotionally upset. Sometimes it just doesn't have any rhyme or reason to it. One of things I have found to help my digestive problems is taking L-glutamine powder,probiotic and Citrucel twice a day. This helps my IBS symptoms and my acid reflux as well. I just mix it with water and add lemon juice to help flavor it to make it palatable. I also have a set schedule for sitting on the toilet everyday to move my bowels to keep myself from getting constipated and it seems to help some with the feeling of needing to go even when there is nothing left in me to get rid of. I hope these suggestions might help you in some way.

Closed Thread