It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 02:56 AM   #1
(male)

tom14567 HB User
Red streaks in my stool

I'm 16 years old and a male, I have had read streaks on and off for about a week and I don't see any red in the toilet paper.
I didn't eat anything red either. To give a rough estimation, they don't not cover most of the stool. I just have a spot or two with a little red streak or.

The first time I saw it was exactly a week ago, it lasted for 2 days. Then for 4 days I haven't saw anything. Yesterday I noticed red streaks again and today as well, but it was much less. I'm really worried I have colon cancer. I lost a lot of sleep due to my worry as well. I told my parents about it.
They said my worrying is irrational, and that even if it's blood, colon cancer is highly unlikely. Deep down I kinda agree with them on some level, but I'm worried as hell.

The general color of my stool is brown, but it had some bright red streaks. Today they were a bit more darker. However, the amount of red streaks I have has reduced greatly from a week ago.

One thing I noticed though. Is that always when I have red streaks my stool is harder. That means if it's soft and full of liquid I never see any red, at least yet.

I can't go to the doctor unless my parents will take me. And they won't because they find it very comical that I'm worried of something like that.
What do you think it is? And what should I do?

Old 06-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Red streaks in my stool

Hi Well I would want an exam from the doctor too with symptoms like that. When I was a kid I was told to leave it in the toilet for them to see if there was anything wrong with it. If they still don't respond I would try outside sources for help. There may be a social worker in town who can help with the particular needs one has. Even a call to a doctor explaining the whole situation, or a hospital if needed to explain the need and I would wait until parents are out of the house to avoid upsetting them. There are cheap home tests that can be bought for testing for blood in the bowel that even a kid can pay for most of the time. These tests are usually obtained at the pharmacies and are called occult stool tests, the pharmacist or helper at the store can help a person find it. They are not always 100% accurate but if it turned out positive it could be shown to the parent at least. The doctor could then be told that it was positive. Sometimes a second test can be done to improve the accuracy because sometimes tests carry the risk of a false positive or a false negative result. sjb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread