It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
(female)

Artist16 HB User
Red face Not Sure What is Wrong, please help

This is only my second time posting anything on here. try and keep it short. I have always had problems with constipation, and I assumed it was because of my diet. I have now changed my diet and eliminated certain foods. I eat a lot more fiber and drink more water. Unfortunately, I will have a normal bm with achy or sometimes sharp pain after for a little while. All of the sudden after I was going every day with good stools, I became extremely constipated, and I am going to have to rely on a laxative. I don't know how else to relieve it. Ever since I've tried managing my constipation and trying to make the abdominal pain go away I have had these problems: gas, bloating, constipation, abdominal cramps, not feeling the need to go when I should, horrible stomach aches/ cramps to the point I can't stand up straight. This happens every day! I really can't stand it anymore. I am only 19 years old and I have become so frustrated with changing so many things in my lifestyle, and then trying many things like fiber supplements, probiotics, and peppermint oil capsules, all without any relief. The pain is usually towards my left side. Never on the right half of my abdomen. This is beginning to impact my social life. I hate having to deal with sudden cramping in the car until I get home. Does anyone have any advice? I am extremely scared of going to the doctors and I have horrible anxiety.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Not Sure What is Wrong, please help

Hi,
This sounds typical of IBS and you should see your Dr for a proper diagnoses.
I have IBS and the only real answer for me was DIET!!...
Even Fibre needs to be adjusted as too much can have the opposite effect. I suffer both D&C and when constipated the best thing I found was Prunes, in the morning & evening also Figs are good. Drink at least six glasses of water daily plus other liquids. Your Dr will prescribe medication for the pains or speak to the Pharmacist in the Chemist.
I also have all the discomfort on my left side.
Do see your Dr as Anxiety does not help IBS or any other stomach disorder, also unless you have been diagnosed you wont know what your stomach problem is, many stomach problems have similar symptoms.

Solofelix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Not Sure What is Wrong, please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist16 View Post
This is only my second time posting anything on here. try and keep it short. I have always had problems with constipation, and I assumed it was because of my diet. I have now changed my diet and eliminated certain foods. I eat a lot more fiber and drink more water. Unfortunately, I will have a normal bm with achy or sometimes sharp pain after for a little while. All of the sudden after I was going every day with good stools, I became extremely constipated, and I am going to have to rely on a laxative. I don't know how else to relieve it. Ever since I've tried managing my constipation and trying to make the abdominal pain go away I have had these problems: gas, bloating, constipation, abdominal cramps, not feeling the need to go when I should, horrible stomach aches/ cramps to the point I can't stand up straight. This happens every day! I really can't stand it anymore. I am only 19 years old and I have become so frustrated with changing so many things in my lifestyle, and then trying many things like fiber supplements, probiotics, and peppermint oil capsules, all without any relief. The pain is usually towards my left side. Never on the right half of my abdomen. This is beginning to impact my social life. I hate having to deal with sudden cramping in the car until I get home. Does anyone have any advice? I am extremely scared of going to the doctors and I have horrible anxiety.
It sounds like you might have irritable bowels syndrome with constipation predominance. I have irritable bowel syndrome which alternates between constipation and diarrhea although it's mostly constipation problem that I have to contend with most of the time.
I can tell you the one thing that has helped me maintain regularity is: I have a set time schedule in the morning when I get up to sit on the toilet for 30 minutes to have a bowel movement. I listen to relaxing music while doing slow deep breathing exercises to relax all my muscles to make it easier to go without straining or forcing myself to go. Once I got myself into the daily routine of sitting on the toilet,it only takes 2-5 minutes to go unless I haven't drank enough water or didn't eat enough fiber. I can't allow myself to go more than 48 hours without moving my bowels or I have a very hard time going on the third day. If I get beyond the 36 hour mark without going then I use a glycerin suppository to help soften the stool to make it easier to pass. Drinking 64 oz. a day of water helps a lot to keep the stools from getting hard . I eat a bowl of oatmeal everyday with flax seed,and a bowl of stewed apricots or prunes. If you take a fiber supplement like Metamucil or Citrucell it's a good idea to drink 8 oz. of water before another 8 oz. after the fiber supplement otherwise this can constipate you because you're not getting enough water in your colon and the fiber will expand and just sit there and not move down the colon. also the more water you drink with it the less likely it will cause excess gas and bloating. Milk,chocolate,bananas,and cheese can make constipation worse. Advil taken at high doses and every four to six hours during your period for cramps also can make you constipated. Just having your period can make your constipation worse. I have to work everyday at making sure I keep my bowels moving on a regular basis but at least it doesn't hurt to go anymore.

Closed Thread