It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
(female)

Chanco HB User
Ventral mesh rectopexy post-op pain

Hi. I had this procedure 2 weeks ago today and am experiencing a lot of pain despite large doses of tramadol and Fentanyl morphine patches. Am I expecting too much too soon? Had hysterectomy 2004, this feels like period pain or sharp pain where the cervix would be. Worse when I am standing and, as expected, after BM. Symptoms which led to procedure seem improved. Thank you.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
(female)

veggieM HB User
Re: Ventral mesh rectopexy post-op pain

Hi there,

I had this operation 2 and a half weeks ago also, although mine was done laparoscopically so am not sure if it was exactly the same as yours - and I am still getting weird, random sharp pains quite often as well, as well as dull aches. However compared to the first week the pains have improved and I am not needing to reach for the tramadol regularly. I really hope things improve for you soon but I am really glad your symptoms have improved, something this op doesnt seem to have helped me with at all, I am repeatedly telling myself its only been two weeks...but its not fun hey.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
(female)

Chanco HB User

Hi VeggieM, thank you for your response. Mine was laporoscopic as well. Hope your pain has improved. Mine is still bad

Couple of days of constipation - lots of prune juice, fruit and laxatives, nothing! Finally decided I would do an irrigation last night but gave body one last chance and it performed! First part of BM very painful and bulky then liquidy due to all laxatives. Sorry to be graphic! Today, pain again - especially in lower abdomen on right, sharp stabbing pain. Pain in back passage. No bleeding. Also terrible bloating and pain under right rib, possibly gall bladder?? More comfortable to walk doubled over - couldn't get GP appointment. Don't know if it's normal and if I am just being a drama queen.

All responses welcome!

Old 08-04-2012, 01:43 AM   #4
(female)

rm212 HB User

veggieM, I had the ventral surgery too and it made my bowel problems much worse. However on the other hand many people find their bowel problems get much better with this surgery once things have settled down. How are you now, please?

Old 09-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
(female)

PoppiePalace HB User

Had the surgery abdominally along with a host of other stuff 4 weeks ago but I agree my bowel problems are worse and I hate this. If I had known I was going to be this constipated and bloated (can't even wear my clothes, live in jammies) not sure I would have done the surgery. How do you handle it?

Old 10-10-2012, 05:51 AM   #6
(female)

keeponrunning HB User

Hi agrajag,

I had my op on 3rd May this year.

Until Sept 16th would have said things were better, visiting toilet several times a day but getting an urge and more importantly being able to go.

However since then i dont get any urge, have same heaviness and discomfort as before op and can only go to the toilet with lots of movicol, enemas and anything else i can think of.

i am also getting an ache at base of my back ? connected.

I do feel upset and am scared too for the future as my life is ruled by my bowels. when i feel comfortable i can run, work is also an issue.

where down the line are you AJ, sorry not to hear positive notes.

PP will let you know re surgeon

Old 10-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
(female)

PoppiePalace HB User

Hi Keeponrunning,

What was the reason for your surgery initially? Now that you have the physiology fixed but things still aren't working have you considered possible other underlying causes? Have you ever had a hydrogen breath test to check for bacterial overgrowth in the small bowel? This can lead to all kinds of problems with motility. I never even knew it existed until I just tested positive for it and now am on this antibotic treatment. Whether it will work or not remains to be seen. But it is just a thought. Please keep me posted. Good to hear you try to get a run in when you can. It helps with the mental health.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
(female)

keeponrunning HB User

hi PP

how are you doing with antibiotics.
Had my surgery because of internal prolapse of bowel
Seen surgeon today, he cant understand that i am upset that i still get pre op symptoms, says it can take 12 months to settle

Old 11-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
(female)

keeponrunning HB User

hi PP

how are you doing with antibiotics.
Had my surgery because of internal prolapse of bowel
Seen surgeon today, he cant understand that i am upset that i still get pre op symptoms, says it can take 12 months to settle

Old 11-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
(female)

PoppiePalace HB User

Hi Keeponrunning
So good to hear from you. Was just thinking of you today as I was out walking. I am 3 months post op and get and urge and poop with ease daily. In fact I poop 2-3 times a day. If I don't watch my fiber and eat too much I poop too much. I now get the urge sit on the toilet and poop. But this all because of a combination of 2 antibotics I took for 10 days (rifaximin and flagyl). I retook the hydrogen breath test and it showed absolutely no more overgrowth of bacteria in my small bowel. And just like the doc said once it was gone my body would just do what comes naturally. I do take miralax every night which the doc said is fine to keep things soft but I never thought I would get to this place. I am not 100%. I am hoping to eventually only have 1 BM. It still seems that after my first BM which is good and healthy, I am not quite empty. And as a result have to go again. On my next visit to the doc I am going to ask about this. But he also said it will take awhile for the internal swelling to go down because we can't rest the colon or rectum. Oh and I also had a prolapse repair as one of the 3 things they repaired on me when I went into surgery. The difference is that even if I have to still empty now because body not completely healed I am in and out of the bathroom. No more hours spent doing the tango on the toilet. I would be curious as to what your results would be if you took the hydrogen breath test for bacterial overgrowth. I do now stick to a strict diet, which interestingly is low in fiber, no dairy other than lactaid free milk, no soy products, no legumes, no beans, no high fiber cereal ( the only cereal I can eat is Rice Krispies), no apples, pears or bananas, no raw vegetables, all cooked, steamed, sauted or grilled, absolutely no high fructose corn syrup or corn syrup, etc. So I do a lot of label reading now and bake my own stuff because regular table sugar is fine. No multigran breads, only white or sourdough. This is just a hint of it. And no eating in between meals. So as you can see this is very different then the high fiber diet they push on people to help them make a bowel movement. If you have been bothered by constipation in the past you might want to get that breath test to see what it shows. Just like you after the surgery I could not make a BM until I found the underlying cause. Let me know how you are doing.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:02 AM   #11
(female)

keeponrunning HB User

wow, sounding positive for you.
i will look into this breath test, probably more difficult to locate things over here.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-26-2012 at 09:05 PM.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
(female)

PoppiePalace HB User

To Keepon...

I feel the underlying cause of lack of BM is understood however, I still feel my rectum is under performing. This could be still due to being only 3 months post op and not all healed. In other words, get a great urge, everything moves through the colon, starts to eliminate but can't seem to have enough strength in the rectum to finish the job. As a result still don't feel completely emptied until I try again and this time it takes more effort/straining on my part. If I could only completely empty on the first BM I would be done. This is something I am going to ask the doc about at our next visit . Does this sound at all like your experiences? Please keep me posted on your situation. Can you exercise at all lately? Are you experiencing any pain?

Last edited by Administrator; 11-26-2012 at 09:05 PM.

Closed Thread