It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
(female)

Tessietimestwo HB User
Annusitis Nightmare

I have been suffering with annusitis for over a year now. I was only diagnosed in March (4 months ago) after a colonoscoy and gastroscopy. I started searching this insidious disease online and scared myself half to death. People come to these message boards out of desperation but maybe don't come back to share their successes. Don't be discouraged.

Let me share a bit of my experience. Initially I thought I had hemorrhoids. The doctors didn't take a look but were happy to prescribe topical medicines which initially seemed to help but unfortunately the pain came back with a vengeance. Ridiculous pain. In February it took up permanent residence in my body affecting me on a daily basis. Many days I had to get a co-worker to cover for me so that I could go home and soak in a tub of hot water. That was the only place I could get relief. I had bleeding, internal pain that seemed like a huge pressure, almost like I had to go to the bathroom. I couldn't stand, sit, lie down for more than a minute or two. Terrible suffering. Then having to go to the bathroom on top of all that pain was terrifying. The pain would start immediately or up to an hour after a BM. It would last 8 or 10 hours. Finally by evening I would begin to feel human again,... but exhausted. In the morning the nightmare would begin again.

Once I was diagnosed I was given a diet sheet which restricted my intake. The doctor was insistent that I eat Fibre 1 or All Bran every day with two glasses of water. In those early days everything was giving me diarrhea. Diarrhea made the annusitis worse. I couldn't understand why I had to do the fibre but not taking it would cause me constipation, especially on the new diet. If I took too much fibre it would give me diarrhea. I couldn't find the right amount and I couldn't break the cycle of pain.

Finally I decided to take a 3-month leave of absence from work. I am in the middle of that leave right now. The medical doctors gave up on me so I went to a naturopath who put me on tons of homeopathic medicines and super strong probiotics. I was told to STOP the fibre cereals as well as wheat products, white rice, corn products, dairy products (except yogurt and butter), processed foods, spices, coffee, tea, alcohol, sugar and raw fruits and vegetables. Many of the foods (wheat and rice) convert to sugar too quickly and sugar is nasty for annusitis. This is called an anti-inflammatory diet.

I started taking chia prana sprouted seed as a fibre source but that was still too invasive for me. I would go to the bathroom 3 or 4 times in succession and by the second time it was already diarrhea-like and causing me pain. Fortunately I can email my naturopath anytime and she readily recommended I stop the Chia Prana and start taking Organic Clear Fibre by Renew Life which is more of a stool softener. THIS WAS THE MAGIC FOR ME. Finally I am having happy BMs. And if the BM is nice, there is no pain. I just want to go to the bathroom once a day. Doctors want you to go ideally 2 or 3 times. But for now, while I am trying to heal , I just want to go once. After 5 or 6 weeks under naturopathic care and getting the right fibre I am having more and more good days. At the moment I am having an episode with hemorrhoids but I'm icing them and hopefully that will go away too.

This took way too long for me. The doctors were not that helpful. I had a gut feeling from the start that the fibre was prolonging my pain. The initial diet still had some nasty things on it and sugar was never mentioned. So while I was still eating wheat and sugary things and cheese I was never going to heal. I've been good on my diet and it seems to be working.

Typically, in a day, I eat the following:

Banana smoothie with half a banana, yogurt and almond milk for breakfast
Homemade chicken or lentil soup for lunch
Chicken, salmon or lamb for dinner with steamed veggies and rice (no potatoes - they convert to sugar quickly too) Yams and squash are good carbohydrate substitutes for potatoes.

For snacks I have Lentil Chips from the health food store or almond butter on rye Wasa Crackers, or cooked pear sauce (like applesauce). Unfortunately I do get cravings near the end of the day and I wish I had a few more snack ideas. Maybe someone out there can share their ideas.

One more month on this diet then hopefully I can start adding some of my favourite foods.

DON'T GIVE UP HOPE!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Tessietimestwo For This Useful Post:
salibia (07-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
(female)

charlotte58 HB User
Re: Annusitis Nightmare

I was really interested in your post. I have had rectal pain (constant) for 3 years now. I have pain and pressure within an hour to my getting up in the morning. I have been on pain meds and going to see a new doctor in the morning. The pain is at it's worst after a bowel movement. Which is in the morning. I am on bentyl for the spasms, but it really doesn't help much. Levator Ani Syndrome. Any thougths or suggestions for me?? I am so tired of this pain.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
(female)

Tessietimestwo HB User
Re: Annusitis Nightmare

Nothing helps the pain. Occasionally a day without a BM is a day without pain. See a naturopath. It costs a lot but its worth it. I am taking a probiotic HCP70, NutraSea Omega 3 by Ascenta to help reduce inflammation and several Unda drops (homeopathic meds) and liquid hamamelis for pain. An anti inflammatory diet is key to recovery. It should take 2 or 3 weeks to notice improvement. It took me 5 weeks but the pain is gone. I must stay on the diet for another month. I will be careful about what I eat forever. Three years is way too long to suffer. You don't have to be in this prison for life!

Closed Thread