It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
(female)

agbest HB User
Rectopexy Surgery - Post Op Mucous

Hi Everyone,

This is the first time I've posted on this board or on any forum. I finally had Rectopexy surgery after 9 years of struggling with it. I also had my sigmoid colon removed. Surgery went ok.

4 weeks after surgery I'm getting mucous when making a BM. Has anyone who had a rectopexy had mucous post op? I definitely had mucous when I had the rectal prolapse but I thought the surgery was supposed to fix it. I can't find anything online about this. My doctor is out of town and his backup dr. just said, hum. So now I'm concerned that my surgery didn't work.

Also, I did have some very hard stools a a day before the mucous started. I wonder if I irritated my rectum and that's why I'm getting mucous?

Any answers or comments would be greatly appreciated. abbest

Last edited by agbest; 07-14-2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: don't like title

Old 07-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
(female)

Chanco HB User
Re: Rectopexy Surgery - Post Op Mucous

Sorry I can't comment on the mucous - I recently had rectopexy and am experiencing a lot of pain. Hope you get sorted soon, just wanted you to know tht although I can't help, I can let you know I am thinking of you x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
(female)

agbest HB User

I'm sorry you're having pain. What type of pain is it? Just when you move your bowels or always? How long ago did you have your rectopexy? Mine is only 5 weeks ago and it seemed to be working. At least I could have a BM without an enema. Not perfect but better. Still very constipated and still trying to work on the right diet.

Thanks for your support

My regular doctor gets back in the office on Thurs, so hopefully I'll get some better answers from him. The on call dr. doesn't know me and had no idea what to say, except to freak me out and say, well maybe it's an internal prolapse. There are a lot of other reasons for mucous. I just have to find out what is causing mine. The mucous is annoying, but I could live with it as long as I knew it wasn't related to a prolapse.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
(female)

alidawk HB User
Re: Post-Op Rectopexy/Sigmoidectomy Surgery

Hello,
I am 8 days post op. I am 28 years old and had a rectopexy last friday due to rectal prolaspe. I am finding it quite difficult to have a BM. I am taking 2 tablets of colace every night as well as 8oz. of water with miralax in the AM. I was perscribed Norco and know narcotics can constipate. My diet has been fairly bland(as directed) and I also suffer from IBS so I am supposed to stay away from various veggies.

My main concern is having normal BM. I find myself not being able to push out the BM and finding the BM quite sticky, soft, but sticky and I cannot fully vacate my bowels. My question is, can I use an enema? What are other things, diets, etc. other people have followed?

Old 09-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
(female)

Chanco HB User

Hi, it sounds very familiar I now have Resolor, Pruclopride or something spelt a bit like it. Meant to make bowel contract but it's not working for me. Pre-op I did regular rectal irrigation Surgeon said wouldn't have to but can be only way I can do BM. He said use suppositories but no effect. I take lots of softeners. I wonder if it is so soft nothing for bowel to grip and push. On my phone so not easy to type much. Hope to reply from pc later or tomorrow. Hang in there, it's horrible but the op should have helped in some ways if not others xxx

Old 09-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
(female)

agrajag HB User

To alidawk - how are you now? 8 days post op is pretty quick, I understand that a sigmoidal resection is very major surgery so things will take a while to settle down. Have you tried dulcolax tablets?

To Chanco - I too had an LVMR and I saw your post from before. It made my bowel problems much much worse rather than better. Post op I now take resolor and many other laxatives I did not have to take pre op. Did your LVMR make your bowel/constipation symptoms better, or worse? Where did you get the surgery done?

Old 09-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
(female)

PoppiePalace HB User

I too had mucous prior to my rectopexy plus additional work which was 4 weeks ago but nothing now. But severly constipated now to the point that I wonder if it was worth it. At least prior to the surgery I was having a BM a day granted there were many challenges with that. My surgeon has me on Miralax, Metamucil, and Reglan. I did go for 3 days but now totally stopped again. Prior to that nothing. Not even an enema or suppositories would work. Next I am going to try Ducolax laxatives. And to top it all off I am the fiber queen who drinks a ton of water and I am trying to get back to my walking routine. I so empathsize with your anxiety over this surgery. These past 4 weeks have been awful. The abdominal incision was nothing compared to all of this mess. Let me know how you are doing.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
(female)

agrajag HB User

How are the posters on this thread getting on with their post rectopexy issues now?

Old 04-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
(female)

Alykat HB UserAlykat HB User

Please let us know how your doing this far out after rectopexy?
Are you "normal" now?

Old 04-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
(female)

NinaNolan HB User

I am 13 days post-op after having a sigmoidectomy with rectopexy. I had previously suffered from chronic constipation since childhood, which was complicated as an adult requiring pain meds & iron for other conditions. Since this surgery, I have had nothing but diarrhea & fecal incontinence! My surgeon says these problems are completely normal after this surgery, and may continue to be a problem for up to a year afterward! I'm 49 & too young to be wearing diapers!! He said the only thing I can do is to eat an increased amount of fiber! I'm miserable & don't want to leave the house!

Old 04-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #11
(female)

Nina
I'm so sorry!
I've heard thy before and only heard it does get better.
Are you on solid foods and is it all plant foods or are you eating normal products too? Certin fibers do thicken stool so it's less watery, maybe that will help?

I guess your sigmoid was removed b/c constipation history - or was it something like diverticulitis?

For me They are deciding when they go in for rectopexy if they see need for sigmoid removal. I really need constipation to go away. I even have to strain to pass gas but I'm hoping its all due to prolapse?

Did you have it done laparoscopically?
Where are you sore? Tummy? Intestines? Bowel?

After my exam last Monday (over a week go) my bowels bleed badly (even went to ER) when I need to have a movement!! It has not slowed down at all. I have juice fasted for 3days just so I could not go to the bathroom. Have you ever experienced a lot of bleeding inside from this? I can't figure out how to get it to stop or work around it?

Old 04-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
(female)

NinaNolan HB User

Oh my goodness! I' m sorry for what you're going through! I hope they keep close tabs on your lab values, as you're very susceptible to anemia from the blood loss! I had an open abdominal surgery with a 7" incision line & a j-p drain, which was removed upon discharge. They had a bunch of adhesions to remove from previous abdominal surgeries. Those areas where the adhesions were have been the most painful. The incision line is clean & dry, with little soreness. I see my surgeon tomorrow to have the staples removed. I don't know anyone who has ever had this surgery before. I just stumbled upon this site today. Thank you to all who are willing to share their experiences.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #13
(female)

NinaNolan HB User

Oops... Forgot to say that prior to surgery, I had a rectal prolapse, plus a large pocket within the sigmoid colon in which stool often became stuck!

Old 04-18-2013, 05:19 AM   #14
(female)

I'm sorry you had to go with open surgery.
I talked with a friend ho had this one in 2002 and aside from it being worth it she doesn't remember much else - not much pain, but Said it does take awhile to get back to normal stools.

I was told I have a "twisted tortured redundant colon" that's what the dr. Wrote in his notes from my colonoscopy! lol :-)
I'm only 37 :-/ and my bottom wants to escape from my body!?!

Please keep in touch and let me know how your recovering & *what foods you find work best for getting the bowels back to normal.
I'm planning on doing only soft fruit for awhile before nd after surgery. Not sure about it until I do it.

My main concern is that when I have let bowels move I've had more blood shooting out nonstop every time so I can't imagine what to do with the prep for surgery. That's why im praying it heals up really nicely ASAP.
I can't find any info on this happening but this site has been very helpful so far. I also just found it yesterday :-)

Old 04-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #15
(female)

Oh Nina - I'm sorry your in pain. I wish you could have gotten the laparoscopic.
I talked to a friend who had this done the same way you did back in 2002. She said the pain will not be bad and the only thing is working with your diet and she stressed it will take time fir bowels. She takes 4 fibercons each day. She said if she had to do it again she would without question. Your on the other side of surgery so things will only improve :-)

Any tips on how to clean out properly before surgery?
I'm so backed up bc in order to go the prolapse needs to come out and it's nothing short of a horror show of blood if it does - I just can't take it. My husband actually fainted when I showed him the aftermath last time and took me to ER. May1st is the earliest surgery I could get.

Sorry to ask so many Qs but when you can will you let me know
how many days total were you in hospital ?
Was it all dependent on passing stool before they let you go?
Are you able to take care of yourself (cook, take a walk...) or should I have someone come help me with the kids for a couple of days?

Reply Reply