It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
(female)

RoMo1 HB User
Colonic Inertia?

Hi, 27 year female. Suffered from constipation my entire life. In fact, I was born with Hemroids. My symptoms became more severe in 2007 which included, severe stomach pain, no BM's for up to 2 months, hard stomach, nausea and my most recent symptom is SEVERE back pain. I'm to the point where I'm not able to sit or stand up straight. I've gone from being very active to tired, achy and downright grumpy every day, all day. In 2010, I obtianed a good insurance plan and was able to get my first colonoscopy. They told me it was fine and that I needed more fiber in my diet. Since that day, I went gluten free, no caffeine, I take 17 grams of Miralax each day, and on weekends I take 2 capfuls (30mls) of Generlac Solution. I currently take colace as much as I can and fleet enemas to help speed things along. NOTHING WORKS! In February of this year, I began getting anal fissures and having a lot of blood in my stool.
2 weeks ago, I had another colonoscopy and the doctor recommended I go to a Colo Rectal Surgeon, due to the large amount of stool on 1 side of my colon, he felt that it was "Colonic Inertia". I also had a motility test which showed that my rectum was fine but that I may have lost the nerve ability in my colon. He also biopsied which came back negative so that is a blessing in itself that I'm not dealing with Cancer.
I met with the Surgeon yesterday. He ordered me to do the Sitz Marker test on Sunday and then come back for the standard CT's on Wednesday and Friday. From there he'll be able to tell if the markers stroll through the colon. He did recommend surgery but I truly have NO IDEA what questions to ask or what my decision should be. I would like some suggestions or anything you might be able to tell me in making this decision.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Colonic Inertia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMo1 View Post
Hi, 27 year female. Suffered from constipation my entire life. In fact, I was born with Hemroids. My symptoms became more severe in 2007 which included, severe stomach pain, no BM's for up to 2 months, hard stomach, nausea and my most recent symptom is SEVERE back pain. I'm to the point where I'm not able to sit or stand up straight. I've gone from being very active to tired, achy and downright grumpy every day, all day. In 2010, I obtianed a good insurance plan and was able to get my first colonoscopy. They told me it was fine and that I needed more fiber in my diet. Since that day, I went gluten free, no caffeine, I take 17 grams of Miralax each day, and on weekends I take 2 capfuls (30mls) of Generlac Solution. I currently take colace as much as I can and fleet enemas to help speed things along. NOTHING WORKS! In February of this year, I began getting anal fissures and having a lot of blood in my stool.
2 weeks ago, I had another colonoscopy and the doctor recommended I go to a Colo Rectal Surgeon, due to the large amount of stool on 1 side of my colon, he felt that it was "Colonic Inertia". I also had a motility test which showed that my rectum was fine but that I may have lost the nerve ability in my colon. He also biopsied which came back negative so that is a blessing in itself that I'm not dealing with Cancer.
I met with the Surgeon yesterday. He ordered me to do the Sitz Marker test on Sunday and then come back for the standard CT's on Wednesday and Friday. From there he'll be able to tell if the markers stroll through the colon. He did recommend surgery but I truly have NO IDEA what questions to ask or what my decision should be. I would like some suggestions or anything you might be able to tell me in making this decision.
You could possibly avoid surgery by getting at least 30 minutes a day of exercising,taking Citrucel or Metamucil 3 times a day,drink at least 64 oz. a day of water,eat pears.prunes,apricots,pumpkin or acorn or butternut squash,yams,carrots. All these foods are high in fiber. eat oatmeal at breakfast with ground flax seed,6 stewed apricots or prunes.
I have battled with chronic constipation all my life so I understand the pain and misery that goes with it. The thing I have found that helps keep me from getting constipated the most is to have a set time schedule for sitting on the toilet to move your bowels on a daily basis. I don't use laxatives but I do slow deep breathing exercises continuously until I have had a bowel movement. This can take anywhere from 5-30 minutes depending upon how much water I drank and how much fiber I ate the day before. When I drink and eat what I should then I can sometimes have 2-3 bowel movements a day without it being diarrhea. When I first started doing this over a year ago,I had to use a glycerin suppository to soften the stool to make it easier to pass without straining excessively but I only did that for 2 days in a row then I didn't need to use the suppository anymore to have a bowel movement. I don't allow myself to go beyond 48 hours without moving my bowels anymore. This only happens when I get lazy about eating,drinking,making sure I move my bowels daily.

Closed Thread