It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
(female)

AlexandraS HB UserAlexandraS HB UserAlexandraS HB User
I have a doc appt tomorrow a lil worried

So I've been having problems getting backed up I can have bm but small ones and having a little mucus in my stool but my big worry is getting backed up this is my second time . I don't know if he's gonna want to do a scope on my stomach . But I'm scared and dont know what to do . My anxiety is making it worse anyone? I also been having pains in my back and feeling pressure not sure if its due to me getting backed up or just a bad mattress. Maybe it's just me and stress cause my stomach to act up I've never had this problem and I'm 30 yrs old. I have been diagnosed with anxiety and gastric (not sure how to spell it) I went to the er maybe 3 weeks ago and they did blood work along with and X-ray and gave me magnesium saltrate to drink after they I was fine. But I'm back at the start of things again. It's just frustrating . But blood work and everything came back perfect they said I just dont know anymore.. Can anyone help or give me input ?

Old 07-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: I have a doc appt tomorrow a lil worried

Greetings AlexandraS! My sympathies. Sweets can cause anxiety and pastries, meats and eggs can cause constipation. I would avoid the refined foods in my opinion particularly the dry ones. I would drink a large quart of water in the morning. I would try to go to the bathroom as soon as there is an urge not waiting even a few minutes because the body absorbs some of the moisture there the longer one waits and then it will be even harder to get out.

I would use more vegetables, okra, fruits, warm prune juice (some people use almost half a bottle) a few nuts, and some grains. I would want the last meal of the day a few hours before before bedtime. Senna pod might be useful sometimes. I would take two tablespoons of flax seeds and put them in water and simmer them until there is a nice slippery substance that is close to the consistency of thick honey and drink it. I would use most of these things one at a time starting with the water until results are obtained.

I would also get the body moving with daily activity. A good brisk walk in the morning a half hour after the quart of warm water may help.

Of course the gastroenterologist may find something for someone. Everyone chooses their own health care and makes their own decisions about what to do. I wish the best for the procedure. Peace sjb

Last edited by sjb; 07-19-2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: disclaimer added

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
AlexandraS (07-20-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
(female)

tula12 HB Usertula12 HB User

I agree with sjb. I eat 5 dried prunes in the mornng and after dinner. Worked wonders for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to tula12 For This Useful Post:
sjb (07-20-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
(female)

Angry Re: I have a doc appt tomorrow a lil worried

Well I went to the doctors today and told him my symptoms as again I'm getting backed up he said I should be fine just to let the stool softners work and come back in a few months . He felt around my tummy said it felt ok for now. But for me to also take fiber pills . I'm. Not sure which ones to take or how to take them . I just hate feeling full bit as much but some what ? I'm just scared he's not taking my situation serious :/

Old 07-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandraS View Post
So I've been having problems getting backed up I can have bm but small ones and having a little mucus in my stool but my big worry is getting backed up this is my second time . I don't know if he's gonna want to do a scope on my stomach . But I'm scared and dont know what to do . My anxiety is making it worse anyone? I also been having pains in my back and feeling pressure not sure if its due to me getting backed up or just a bad mattress. Maybe it's just me and stress cause my stomach to act up I've never had this problem and I'm 30 yrs old. I have been diagnosed with anxiety and gastric (not sure how to spell it) I went to the er maybe 3 weeks ago and they did blood work along with and X-ray and gave me magnesium saltrate to drink after they I was fine. But I'm back at the start of things again. It's just frustrating . But blood work and everything came back perfect they said I just dont know anymore.. Can anyone help or give me input ?
Try doing slow deep breathing exercises to help calm yourself. I have found listening to relaxing music helps calm me down and relax quicker.
The doctor most likely do a rectal exam and have you give them a stool sample or do a fecal occult test(looking for blood hidden in your stool over a 3 day period.) These tests will most likely determine whether he needs to do a colonoscopy on you,so make sure you follow the instructions given on the fecal occult test. It's a gross test to do on yourself. It means you have stick a tongue depressor type stick into your bowel movement and then put a small smear of it on a card for 3 days in a row and then send the card to a lab to be examined. You need to make sure you don't eat red meats or any food that may contain red dye that can be mistaken as blood in your stool.
Most of the time our problems with constipation has more to do with our lack of fiber in our diet, not drinking enough water, not getting enough exercise,and not having good bowel habits.
This definitely has been the case with me for all of my life. Almost a year and a half ago I decided I was sick and tired of always either not being to move my bowels for 3 days or more in a row and having to excessively strain and force myself to move my bowels which causes severe pain to the point of me having tears streaming down my face. Once I started eating a high fiber diet and drinking more water and less soda,making a daily routine of sitting on the toilet to move my bowels. I no longer get constipated unless I get lazy about eating right,drinking enough water,and taking the time each morning to sit on the toilet to make sure I move my bowels. I have found that even doing the slow deep breathing exercises help make it easier to go because all of your muscles are relaxed.
I have read that people who are always constipated are at a much higher risk for colon and rectal cancers later in life especially if there is a family history of colon cancer.
I hope this will help you in some way.

The Following User Says Thank You to flipfleury For This Useful Post:
AlexandraS (07-20-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipfleury View Post
Try doing slow deep breathing exercises to help calm yourself. I have found listening to relaxing music helps calm me down and relax quicker.
The doctor most likely do a rectal exam and have you give them a stool sample or do a fecal occult test(looking for blood hidden in your stool over a 3 day period.) These tests will most likely determine whether he needs to do a colonoscopy on you,so make sure you follow the instructions given on the fecal occult test. It's a gross test to do on yourself. It means you have stick a tongue depressor type stick into your bowel movement and then put a small smear of it on a card for 3 days in a row and then send the card to a lab to be examined. You need to make sure you don't eat red meats or any food that may contain red dye that can be mistaken as blood in your stool.
Most of the time our problems with constipation has more to do with our lack of fiber in our diet, not drinking enough water, not getting enough exercise,and not having good bowel habits.
This definitely has been the case with me for all of my life. Almost a year and a half ago I decided I was sick and tired of always either not being to move my bowels for 3 days or more in a row and having to excessively strain and force myself to move my bowels which causes severe pain to the point of me having tears streaming down my face. Once I started eating a high fiber diet and drinking more water and less soda,making a daily routine of sitting on the toilet to move my bowels. I no longer get constipated unless I get lazy about eating right,drinking enough water,and taking the time each morning to sit on the toilet to make sure I move my bowels. I have found that even doing the slow deep breathing exercises help make it easier to go because all of your muscles are relaxed.
I have read that people who are always constipated are at a much higher risk for colon and rectal cancers later in life especially if there is a family history of colon cancer.
I hope this will help you in some way.

He said its nothing to worry about :/ but for me to go back in a few months and see how I'm doing then. I'm a bad eater I've always been ...I just dont k ow how to control eating so poorly ..I can have bm just not likes used to or enough to ease my stomach . I took my first set of fiber pills today ( Metamucil ) I wanna see how that goes md if it will work ? Not sure what fiber pills to take or how to make myself have a bm. I've never been this way UNTILL my anxiety got really bad and I was stressing so much. I just hope I get better soon or back to normal you know.? And thank you for the replies and input I really appreciate it

Old 07-20-2012, 11:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandraS View Post
He said its nothing to worry about :/ but for me to go back in a few months and see how I'm doing then. I'm a bad eater I've always been ...I just dont k ow how to control eating so poorly ..I can have bm just not likes used to or enough to ease my stomach . I took my first set of fiber pills today ( Metamucil ) I wanna see how that goes md if it will work ? Not sure what fiber pills to take or how to make myself have a bm. I've never been this way UNTILL my anxiety got really bad and I was stressing so much. I just hope I get better soon or back to normal you know.? And thank you for the replies and input I really appreciate it
It can take up to 3 days for those fiber pills to work and you have to make sure you drink lots of before and after each time you take those pills or it can make your constipation worse. Eating 6 stewed prune or apricots in the morning and an apple or pear at lunch time,and spinach, carrots,sweet potatoes,yams,pumpkin,acorn or butternut squash at dinner. Warmed prune juice before bed. All these foods will help you to move your bowels quicker rather than having to take the fiber pills and drink lots of water. Oatmeal and put a tablespoon of flax seed in the morning help keep your stools soft and help maintain regularity. If you eat 25-35 grams a day of fiber and drink enough water it will keep your bowels moving on a regular basis. My continuing education teacher for my certified nursing assistant license used this saying in our classes all the time "Drink water because it's good for what ails you!"

The Following User Says Thank You to flipfleury For This Useful Post:
AlexandraS (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #8
(female)

Thank you so much..I will try some of them fruits today see what happens..I feel so bloated an full right now :/ kinda hard for me to take a breath... Should I stop the fiber pills? What should I do to flush me out now ?

Old 07-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
(female)

I've also been having aot of upper back pressure and when I eat it gets worse ? I told the doctor he said that's gonna happen ..not sure why he just. Brushed me off ? Or maybe I'm thinking he did ? I'm having a glass of prune juice for breakfast..I had a bm this morning and it was hard and pebbles along with a large piece ..sorry don't mean to be so open with it.. Now I failed to mention I had eaten a lot of gum in the last 4 years maybe more? I would just buy the gum to eat it.. Lol would that be a reason. I'm backed up now? I didnt tell my doctor either :/

Old 07-24-2012, 06:10 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Greetings AlexandraS! I can understand not wanting to tell the doctor anyway. I would just stop eating it. I would chew it if I felt I could not do without something in the mouth but I would not swallow it. Some people have a latex allergy and cannot even wear elastic on the skin or wear latex gloves without a rash from it. Yes I would think it might make hard little pebbles in my opinion and I am glad the courage was obtained to tell us so things might get better. Anything at all refined from the factory or food that is refined, meat and eggs, dairy, cheese, crackers, not drinking enough water, a disease process all these have potential to make hard bowel movements and little "pebbles". Peace, sjb

Old 07-25-2012, 11:31 PM   #11
(female)

Artist16 HB User

Hi AlexandraS,
I understand your anxiety. I have problems with anxiety as well and have had problems with constipation for most of my life (I'm only 19), I just recently went to see a GI for pain, gas, bloating, and pressure. I had a colonoscopy and was told I looked fine. I have changed my eating habits to get a lot more fiber, drink more water, and exercise. I also have to take miralax every day. I am new to the change so I haven't seen much result, but just remember patience, and keep calm. I tend to get panicky when I'm constipated and have trouble, just makes it all worse. Metamucil has helped me, eating high fiber oatmeal in the morning and fiber one products which are pretty yummy ( even for those of us who hate healthy stuff ). I had some bloating tonight myself, and when it gets so uncomfortable you feel like nothing works, I usually try to walk around or even just stand, sip some water, and breath as much as you can. Sometimes lightly rubbing your abdomen can help too. Also, it may sound weird, but whatever movement or position your body feels like it needs to be in seems to help. If I have pain, I usually get a sensation to not stay still and need to be up or walking or stretching. Listen to your body. Oh, and yogurt with different bacteria strains in it are good, I used to hate yogurt, but I've grown to like it, I put oreo crumbs in mine Good luck, and keep your head up, your not alone.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:48 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Greetings AlexandraS! For anxiety I would avoid sugar as it is known to cause panic attacks. For any bloating and gas which aggravate abdominal pain I would avoid any bacterial products such as cultured wheat yogurt since bacteria make gas. The gas has potential to make pockets in the bowel in my opinion from the trapped gas. I would make my own bread without baking soda because most of the bread that is in the store has cultured wheat and seems to contribute to gas. May this contribute to comfort. sjb

Last edited by sjb; 07-26-2012 at 05:55 AM. Reason: additions made

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
AlexandraS (07-26-2012)
Closed Thread