HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Bowel Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bowel-disorders/)
-   -   Narrow bowel movements (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bowel-disorders/912164-narrow-bowel-movements.html)

justanolddame 07-30-2012 09:15 PM

Narrow bowel movements

I have had skinny bowel movements ever since I had hemorrhoid surgery in the late 70s and I have always thought it was because the dr. must have made the anus smaller with the stitches. In a couple of days I am going to have a colonoscopy and I am wondering if this means it will be even more uncomfortable for me. I am 71 years old and thought I was too old for this procedure, but the dr. said he does them up to age 80 or more. I am getting really anxious about this exam and have had thoughts of cancelling it. Is there a lot of pain involved when the dr. inserts the apparatus?

Astrid1986 07-31-2012 08:43 AM

Re: Narrow bowel movements

Hi,
I had a colonoscopy on Friday, and it was not at all painful. I am much younger than you are, but I don't think that age matters much in this respect. The feeling of having the scope inserted in the anus may be uncomfortable, and if you do have a narrower anus than most, this may be especially so, but the feelign lasts only very briefly. If I were you, I'd request a sedative. I got one, and its effect, besides sedation, is tha tyou won't remember much if anything from the procedure afterwards, so even if it hurts you won't remember.

rufous57 07-31-2012 05:16 PM

Don't be afraid of having a colonoscopy, you will be knocked out and you will not feel a thing. I dreaded mine but got through it just fine and so will you! I told the nurse how nervous I was and they took me to a different waiting room then wrapped me in warm blankets, I got to watch a movie and they gave me a mild sedative. By the time I was taken to the room for the procedure I was so relaxed and doctor and nurses were joking with me; the next thing I remember I was waking up and the nurse was asking me if I wanted ginger ale and soda crackers.

The worst part is the prep, however, it is necessary and you can get through this too. Just remember to drink a glass of water for every glass of the Go-Lytely solution(or whatever they use nowadays) to get that nasty taste out of your mouth, plus to avoid dehydration because you will be on the toilet afterward. I have a cousin who sets up her laptop on the toilet, not a bad idea since she works from home and no I am not kidding LOL!

Good luck and please let us know how you are doing afterward. I hope you get some answers soon.

justanolddame 08-01-2012 07:15 AM

Thanks for replying. Midway through the prep I was called by the nurse who said my blood test showed my blood was too thin for the procedure and I have to do it all over again today and go tomorrow. I take blood thinner and have been off of it for 6 days now and it is still too high. I doubt if it will change in one day. I am bummed over this and have no enthusiasm about starting over with the magnesium citrate. I have to get a blood test this morning to make sure we can do it. So I have no news except to say as much of the prep as I did, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'll report back.

justanolddame 08-01-2012 07:48 PM

I will never do this again.

justanolddame 08-03-2012 12:53 PM

I have completed the exam and learned I have Crohn's Disease. That explains the narrow bowel movements - my lumen has narrowed because of the disease. The exam was almost fun compared to the prep. I watched everything on the screen and very little pain.

justanolddame 08-04-2012 04:25 PM

This was a mistake

rufous57 08-04-2012 06:13 PM

I'm so sorry you had a difficult time with the prep and about the Dx, hopefully your GI doctor will follow up with a plan for managing this disease.