It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User
Severe gas from not eating

Does anyone know what may cause this? For several years, if I don't eat quick enough, I start burping. If I continue to wait, the gas gets so severe it blows up my intestines, so at the first sign of burping, I know to get drink/food fast.

This always happens when I have to go without eating prior to a procedure. For example, a few years ago, I had a colonoscopy, and was told not to eat after a certain hour. By 2am, the gas had started, and I was miserable, trying to burp it out. It lasted about 3 hours before calming down. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep. I am leery of anesthesia, so asked to have the colonoscopy with no meds, which they did. They blew up my intestines, and it was the exact same gassy feeling I get from not eating. I told the doc this gas had happened to me the night before for about 3 hours, and he was telling me this would only last 45 minutes til he was finished, so that was a piece of cake for me.

They didn't find anything wrong, he took a couple of samples, but really, nothing wrong.

So, last week I had surgery to remove a 12cm cyst, and it became a problem again because I couldnít eat before surgery. Then they wouldn't feed me after surgery and it got worse. They called in a gastroenterologist, who said I had ileus, but when I made a scene and insisted on getting something to drink, it got better. He was shocked to see me packing to go home on Friday, guess he thought I'd need another surgery, or whatever they do to fix ileus.

Years ago, when they were putting sulfites on lettuce to keep the salad fresh, the sulfites would do the same thing, to the point where I'd get up and run out of the restaurant doubled over in pain. Now it seems to only happen when I get too hungry. Nothing Iíve ever tried for gas ever makes it go away once it gets started. Usually the next day, I feel a bit queasy, but can drink water, juices, and light food and things will clear up quickly so Iím back to normal by the end of the day. Also, I have gluten problems, but work to remain totally gluten free.

The gastro doc said the gas should not be happening, and gave me some probiotics while in the hospital, and Iím supposed to make an appointment when I get completely over this ovarian cyst surgery. Since both my celiac tests were done after I was gluten free, obviously they came back negative. He said he has a few other tests for the celiac, including DNA, even if I refuse to eat wheat (which I do.)

Does anyone else experience this severe gas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread