It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
(male)

Tony309 HB User
Help! Haven't poop in over a week + viral and bacterial infection

Hello,

I'm here hoping I can get some medical opinion. I tried to provide as much info as I can.

It all started about 2 weeks ago when I got my first 'sign' (body shaking by itself and feels like chills feel like my blood sugar level was very low) then it develop into a cough then it starts progressing and new symptom develop over the days including fever, dizzy, chest and stomach pain(happens when I cough for the most part), leg pain, and constipation(haven't poop ever since first sign until about a week later and the amount that I managed to get out of my system was tiny).

I went into the ER twice. The first time was about a week after my first sign and the doctor said it was a viral infection and told me to take this laxative and to continue taking Tylenol (acetaminophen) and advil (ibuprofen) for the fever.

So since the doc said it was a viral infection the only thing I could do is wait but the laxative that the doc prescribe to me hardly work at all and I only poop only once over a course of 4 days of taking it and the amount release was tiny.

The next time I went into the ER was 5 days later since my chest and stomach pain was getting worst, especially the stomach. The doc order another chest x-ray and found that I have "atelectasis / pneumonia" and gave me antibiotic for the bacterial infection. He also gave me milk of magnesia for my conspitation but it's been 2 days since I took it and it's having no effect. I don't even feel the need to go take a dump!

Also wanted to add that when I did managed to poop, the poop was intact and normal looking.

Help!

Last edited by Tony309; 08-20-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Help! Haven't poop in over a week + viral and bacterial infection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony309 View Post
Hello,

I'm here hoping I can get some medical opinion. I tried to provide as much info as I can.

It all started about 2 weeks ago when I got my first 'sign' (body shaking by itself and feels like chills feel like my blood sugar level was very low) then it develop into a cough then it starts progressing and new symptom develop over the days including fever, dizzy, chest and stomach pain(happens when I cough for the most part), leg pain, and constipation(haven't poop ever since first sign until about a week later and the amount that I managed to get out of my system was tiny).

I went into the ER twice. The first time was about a week after my first sign and the doctor said it was a viral infection and told me to take this laxative and to continue taking Tylenol (acetaminophen) and advil (ibuprofen) for the fever.

So since the doc said it was a viral infection the only thing I could do is wait but the laxative that the doc prescribe to me hardly work at all and I only poop only once over a course of 4 days of taking it and the amount release was tiny.

The next time I went into the ER was 5 days later since my chest and stomach pain was getting worst, especially the stomach. The doc order another chest x-ray and found that I have "atelectasis / pneumonia" and gave me antibiotic for the bacterial infection. He also gave me milk of magnesia for my conspitation but it's been 2 days since I took it and it's having no effect. I don't even feel the need to go take a dump!

Also wanted to add that when I did managed to poop, the poop was intact and normal looking.

Help!
Because you're sick and most likely not drinking enough water and other fluids and you're most likely dehydrated and taking advil is adding to your constipation problem. Try to start drinking water or other fluids like Pedialyte,gatorade and slowly add fiber to your diet. If you drink an 8 oz. glass of warmed prune juice at night before going to bed and then another 8 oz. first thing in the morning. Have a cup of coffee or tea and some dietary fat and fiber for breakfast then take a short brisk walk for about 15 minutes that should help to kick in peristalsis shortly after that. Then go sit on the toilet and read a good book or magazine or listen to relaxing music for about 20-30 minutes. Hopefully you can move your bowels, If you find yourself wanting to strain or force stool out don't,instead take slow deep breaths and hold it to the count of 10 and slowly exhale,do this until you have moved your bowels. If you still can't move your bowels then try using a glycerin suppository to help you to go.

Closed Thread