It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
(female)

PoppiePalace HB User
SOL (no pun intended)

This is my first time posting and I am at my wits end. Today is 3 weeks since I had an abdominal rectopexy, enterocele and rectocele repair, and vaginal sacralcolpexy. It all was due to years and years of constipation and lack of ability to eliminate completely. Prior to surgery I did make a BM with a high fiber diet, lots of water, exercise but it could take hours to completely eliminate. And years of this messed up my physiology so that everythings was prolapsing, etc. My huge problem now is that since the operation I cannot make a BM at all. I mean not at all. I have done metamucil, miralax, enemas, milk of magnesia, ducolax suppositories and nothing. I get the urge, I have horrific stomach cramping, the stool moves into my rectum but it will not pass beyond my anus. The anus seems to seize up and will not relax. I have had to make trips up to my corectol surgeon so he can manually remove the stool. I am now doing it myself. I do not no what to do anymore. I am depressed and ready to give up. I did not even take the pain medication for the incision because I know it can cause constipation and I didn't want anything to interfer with my ability to make a BM. Everything seems to moving through my colon but it will not pass through the anus no matter what I do. Has anyone else experienced this problem and suggestions, Please!

Thank you for listening. Feeling really alone here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User
Re: SOL (no pun intended)

I'm so sorry for the pain you are going through! Did your surgeon have any suggestions other than manual removal? I don't have your exact same symptoms, but I am wondering if it might help to try physiotherapy to help relax those muscles. I sure hope your doctors can figure out something to help you, please let us know how you are doing.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
(female)

PoppiePalace HB User

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly. My surgeon seems to think my making a BM will just happen but after 3 weeks, I don't see how. The pain down below is unbelieveable. Wondering if I should have stayed on liquids longer to give myself more time to heal. And now it is so shut down below it won't open up. You mentioned physiotherapy...what does that entail? And I did not even ask how are you doing. So caught up in my own stuff I apologize for being so inconsiderate.

Hope all is well.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User

You're not being inconsiderate; I have suffered from an internal rectal prolapse, fissure and hemmorhoids so I have an idea what kind of pain you are in, though mine was different and I'm fine now.

Physio-therapy is used to treat pelvic floor dysfunction. It could be that your sphincter muscles are contracting rather than relaxing thus preventing you from being able to have a bowel movement. These physio's deal with pfd and also with strengthening the pelvic floor muscles. They see a lot of women who have just delivered babies and that's usually where you will find them in your town. I have to say, I'm not a doctor, only a doctor can diagnose you, but your symptoms sounded familiar. I cannot post a link but if you do a google search on pelvic floor dysfunction, you might see some similarities to your condition. Good luck and please keep me posted on how you're doing.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
(female)

agrajag HB User

How are you now? Have you tried dulcolax tablets (not suppositories but the ones you take orally)? Have you had any more feedback from your surgeon as to what has caused this acute problem?

Old 09-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
(female)

PoppiePalace HB User

Surgeon still at a loss. He did suggest Ducolax lacatives but to my surprise I finally had a BM before I had to use them. However my joy was very short lived. I actually went for 3 days in a row 6 times a day, which was odd. I am so confused it is either all or nothing because now I am back to nothing and hating life. It has been 2 days and I know I have to go because I have terrible gas and feel the urge but once again it won't happen. Interestingly when it did happen it was at 2:07 am and it was though my body just okay let's do it. And now it is back to no more. I think I made the mistake of stopping everything they were telling me to take because I thought that was the problem and maybe that was the cure. So I am back to Miralx, metamucil and Reglan which is a drug I definitely don't want to take for a long time. I am beginning to bloat and retain water now. If nothing happens by tomorrow I am trying the ducolax.

Thank you for asking. Tell me about you.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

If you haven't been able to have a bowel movement since this post,what have you tried ? Did the suppository work ? Did you try using an oil based enema ?
I have had chronic constipation problems all my life and I can tell you I can understand the pain an discomfort you must be going through. One thing I do find helpful to make it easier to go after not going for a couple of days in a row, is to do slow deep breathing exercises on the toilet. I take a slow deep breath and hold it to the count of 10 and slowly exhale and keep doing this for up to 30 minutes or until you can have a bowel movement. This relaxes the rectal and anal sphincter muscles making it easier for the stool to pass through the rectum and anus. This is so much easier than trying to push as hard as you can on your abdomen trying to force the stool out. I hope it helps.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-07-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
(female)

PoppiePalace HB User
Unhappy Re: SOL (no pun intended)

The ducolax tablets did nothing and I see my surgeon this Friday for a follow-up. Is he ever going to get an earful from me. I just wish they would have prepared me for all the horrible side effects. I feel like I have lost my life and my body. I have increased my fiber intake to 25-30 grams a day and I am already an avid water drinker. I try to add more walking but still very painful. If I don't strain I don't make a BM. I think I am just not going to eat and all the fiber has me so bloated. I have no idea when I willever go back to work. did I do the right thing by this surgery?

Old 09-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
(male)

MyBodyHatesMe HB User

I would see my surgeon, it could be Anal Stenosis where the anal canal has become too narrow because of surgery - just a thought

Old 09-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #10
(female)

PoppiePalace HB User

Thanks for the input. Saw the surgeon yesterday who had no helpful suggestions. I am worse off since the surgery. More constipated then ever. All this surgery work for nothing is what it feels like. I am going back to the GI docs to see what is next. I am beyond depressed. I don't leave the house other than to go for my walks which I won't give up until I can no longer function which is pretty close. Sorry for sounding so dismal but I have just had it.

Closed Thread