It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
(female)

Anne625 HB User
Thumbs down Unable to void bowels, please help!

I'm having a very serious problem and would really appreciate any advice anyone could give me. For about 4 hours now I have been unable to poo, this is because it is literally too big (I believe it has hardened). You know when you are really desperate to void your bowels, I've been like that for hours, leaving me in extreme discomfort. I have tried so hard to poo, but I just can't and it is extremely painful when trying. I haven't void my bowels since the day before yesterday as I didn't feel that I needed to yesterday. I am open to taking medication.

Thanks in advance

Old 09-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User
Re: Unable to void bowels, please help!

In order to have normal bowel movements you need to get enough fiber in your diet, 25-30 grams, plus 8-10 glasses(64 oz) of water to prevent constipation. A fiber supplement such as Metamucil or Citrucel can be very helpful, you m ight consider asking your doctor. Also, please don't strain while on the toilet, this can cause all sorts of problems such as hemmorhoids or worse. If it has still been 2-3 days since your last bowel movement, you may need something like Miralax or Milk of Magnesia to get you started this time. If it's been longer than 5 days, call your doctor, you are going to need either a suppository or an enema.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Unable to void bowels, please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne625 View Post
I'm having a very serious problem and would really appreciate any advice anyone could give me. For about 4 hours now I have been unable to poo, this is because it is literally too big (I believe it has hardened). You know when you are really desperate to void your bowels, I've been like that for hours, leaving me in extreme discomfort. I have tried so hard to poo, but I just can't and it is extremely painful when trying. I haven't void my bowels since the day before yesterday as I didn't feel that I needed to yesterday. I am open to taking medication.

Thanks in advance
You can try using a glycerin suppository using lots of vaseline just inside your rectum and outside the anus using a gloved index finger to put the vaseline inside in your rectum and a new clean gloved index finger for the anus area. Hopefully this will make it easier for the hardened stool to pass through a little easier. The suppository may take up to 2 hours or more to work if the stool is really hard. You may want to try drinking a hot beverage like tea or coffee to try to activate colon contractions, take a short brisk walk for 15-20 minutes, you may want to do this before taking the suppository and then after the suppository try soaking in a warm tub of water to help relax the rectal and anal sphincter muscles to help it make it easier for the hardened stool to pass. When you do get the urge to move your bowels, do not push,strain hard or try to force the stool out. Take slow deep breaths,hold to the count of 10 then slowly exhale, then repeat this four times. I am telling you this because I have been where you are at now trying to force as hard as I can to push the stool out to the point of tears streaming down my face because it hurts so much and feels like a knife cutting me inside and out when that stool passes through. The slow deep breaths make it less painful to get the stool to pass. If none of this works then you will have to use an oil based enema to pass the stool. I hope this will help you !

Closed Thread