It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 05:58 AM   #1
(male)

Rockster44 HB User
Diverticulitis and Sigmoid Colectomy

Hello folks, just wanted to share some information about my issues with Diverticulitis leading up to a Sigmoid Colectomy. Eventually I would like to have a blog on my recovery, but I am new to this and have not figured out how to start it. I guess I need to start reading a little more on how to get a decent blog.

I will start by saying today is my eighth post op day, wow what a ride. If anyone wants any information from me about my experience before I figure out how to blog please do not hesitate to contact me. I would love to share my experience.

Here is a short BIO on my situation pre op. I am a 44 year old male, I consider myself healthy. I have three children ages 10, 7, 5. A beautiful wife, I am an average person with the normal life ups and downs. I tend to hold stress in my stomach and thereabouts. I am blaming my Diverticulitis on stress and also my mother has had her share of intestinal issues, including Diverticulitis leading to a Sigmoid Colectomy.

Two years ago I woke up with a serious gas pain, thinking I just needed to pass it with my daily stool and went on with my business. This gas bubble never passed, three days later I was in the Hospital, diagnosed with Diverticulitis and given the standard antibiotics. Almost to the day, one year later I was under attack again. Might i add that since the first attack I had taken procedures to eliminate all foods with seeds, skin, and pretty much everything I enjoyed. My gastroenterologist suggested from the beginning I should consider going to a surgeon, I was like your crazy man, I can beat this. And there he was again a year later telling me the same, but I am stubborn, I can beat this, I am MAN!

Another eight or so months passed after the second attack and there I was again, in pain, same pain. Might I add that I had never felt the same since the first attack. It changed my life completely, I was angry, short, snappy. Just not the same person I usually was. Something had changed inside me and was affecting my whole life, including my family. The Third attack never really went away, it blended into the fourth attack and then with my head hung low I asked my gastroenterologist who he would recommend for surgery. My symptoms in the end were constant pain, any movement would cause this pain. I was easily agitated and had no motivation to do anything, I just wanted to lay there. Having three fun loving children around and me not being able to join in on all these activities was making daddy a very miserable person. I was as depressed as much as the pain I was feeling. This had to be fixed, this had to end, I need my life back.

So I have had my surgery eight days ago, I can honestly say it is a wild painful ride. I still have more to go, but I have to tell you I do not, and I repeat, DO NOT have that crappy, sickly, life hampering ill feeling in my lower left quad. Everyday I get a little bit closer to living a normal painless life. I want to openly thank my wife Donna and my three beautiful children, Brionna, Brycen, and Braydon for taking care of their sweet daddy. Much love to all who read this. You have my 100% support.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
(male)

Rafaell Ehlers HB User
Re: Diverticulitis and Sigmoid Colectomy

Thanks for sharing. I'm at the hospital on my second diverticulitis episode (just after 4 months the 1st one) and the doctor told me that surgery is the way to go. Best

Old 04-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
(female)

Ivycatskill HB User

I too had recurring bouts of diverticulitis that seemed to get closer together until I was feeling miserable most of the time. A return visit to my GI doc convinced me to get the surgery. I read many of these message boards and realized that everyone was different, having diffferent experiences. I opted for the surgery which I had done in Feb. of this year. The recovery, for me, was quite seamless and relatively painfree and I am feeling better than I have in a very long time. I have not found any foods that do not agree with me so far. My energy level has returned to normal and I don't feel anxious about when I will have a flare-up that could land me in the hospital. If I had to choose again, I would do it in a snap.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
(male)

Rafaell Ehlers HB User

Thanks for your input Ivy. I'm at home now and preparing myself (mentaly and emotionaly) for the surgery after I have recovered fully (which should be in 6-7 weeks). Best

Old 04-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
(female)

Ivycatskill HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafaell Ehlers View Post
Thanks for your input Ivy. I'm at home now and preparing myself (mentaly and emotionaly) for the surgery after I have recovered fully (which should be in 6-7 weeks). Best
Good luck to you. I hope that you fare as well as I did. I feel normal again. Recovery was only a couple of weeks with little discomfort and watching what I ate. I tired easily for the first 3-4 weeks but that too is gone.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
(female)

kitty61 HB User

I also have diverticulitis and had many hospital admissions , I mostly live on antibiotics, but reading the outcome of operations on this site , I think I might just go for surgery , as I have always turned it down as I have been scared to go through with it , but I think now the time is right so I can get on with my life

Old 05-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User

This is an excellent post - thank you to the OP and the others, I truly hope all of you are feeling better now! Thank you for sharing your stories!

My DH was 50 when those left sided pains began. He would occasionally notice what he felt was pulled stomach muscles, but he is a tennis player and attributed to his tennis serve. I was working nightshift at the time, so we didn't eat meals together, his diet was lousey, that I am sure. His first two episodes landed him in the ER - with mega-antibiotics. The third ER visit he stayed there for over two weeks, he almost died because his colon had perforated!!! Finally, he allowed me to seek the best surgeon and 5 weeks later he had the life-changing colon resection. Recovery for him was so easy compared to healing from that third Diverticulitis attack that almost killed him. True, with 18 inches less of his colon, some life adjustments had to happen, e.g. he has to go to the bathroom more often, and he is very careful to eat only a low fat, high fiber diet with lots of water daily. But this happened almost 6 years ago, and no further recurrances. He knows the surgery saved his life!

Reply Reply