It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
(male)

samuelegit HB User
internal rectal prolapse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkwia View Post
I had laparascopic ventral mesh rectopexy surgery for internal rectal prolapse (otherwise known as rectal intussusception) in 2009. If anyone else is considering this I might be able to offer some advice. I would also like to hear from others who have also had surgery for this type of disorder to learn how you are now?
Hi, I'm Samuel. I'm only 16 and I seem to might have this problem. I'm constipated and I have weird gurgly feelings in my stomach. Ugh. So if I do have this, will surgery be harmful? I read about it and many people say it made the problem worse? What did you eat to kind of help the problem? Please reply back!

Old 05-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
(male)

idkwia HB Useridkwia HB User
Re: Anyone considering surgery for internal rectal prolapse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelegit View Post
Hi, I'm Samuel. I'm only 16 and I seem to might have this problem. I'm constipated and I have weird gurgly feelings in my stomach. Ugh. So if I do have this, will surgery be harmful? I read about it and many people say it made the problem worse? What did you eat to kind of help the problem? Please reply back!
Hi Samuel, an internal rectal prolapse is much less common in males and even less common in young men such as yourself. That doesn't mean that you don't have it but the odds are much less. I would suggest that you see your doctor and explain to him your concerns and see what he says. You can report back here if you don't get anywhere with your doctor, but I am sure he will help you.
Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
(female)

agrajag HB User

Hi Samuel, I had surgery for intussusception though it did not go well. Where did you get your diagnosis of intussusception? And what type of surgery was suggested as there are many types?

Old 05-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrajag View Post
Hi Samuel, I had surgery for intussusception though it did not go well. Where did you get your diagnosis of intussusception? And what type of surgery was suggested as there are many types?
Agrajag, he says he might have this problem and so he has not been tested or diagnosed for it.

I would be very interested to know what tpye of surgery you had and where you had it and what went wrong please?

Old 05-31-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
(male)

samuelegit HB User
Smile Re: Anyone considering surgery for internal rectal prolapse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkwia View Post
Hi Samuel, an internal rectal prolapse is much less common in males and even less common in young men such as yourself. That doesn't mean that you don't have it but the odds are much less. I would suggest that you see your doctor and explain to him your concerns and see what he says. You can report back here if you don't get anywhere with your doctor, but I am sure he will help you.
Good luck.
Thank you so much! I hope it's just me being plugged up or something because this cause sounds painful and aggravating. I'm not sure what I have and I'm really scared. I asked my mom for a doctors appointment and she said ok. So I might get to see what's up with me. Quick question: what were your symptoms for your IRP? Do they sound very fimiliar to mine? Also, are you healed? Or are you still suffering with it? Thank you

PS: I've been reading about IBS and it has a lot of symptoms that I'm having right now. So I thought "maybe it's IBS" but than I heard that internal rectal prolapse can be confused with IBS. So I'm just gonna see whats up. Wish me luck! As in let's hope it's something that can be healed with a pill or liquid!

-Samuel

Last edited by samuelegit; 05-31-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelegit View Post
Thank you so much! I hope it's just me being plugged up or something because this cause sounds painful and aggravating. I'm not sure what I have and I'm really scared. I asked my mom for a doctors appointment and she said ok. So I might get to see what's up with me. Quick question: what were your symptoms for your IRP? Do they sound very fimiliar to mine? Also, are you healed? Or are you still suffering with it? Thank you

PS: I've been reading about IBS and it has a lot of symptoms that I'm having right now. So I thought "maybe it's IBS" but than I heard that internal rectal prolapse can be confused with IBS. So I'm just gonna see whats up. Wish me luck! As in let's hope it's something that can be healed with a pill or liquid!

-Samuel
Samuel, well done for telling your Mom and for getting a doctor's appointment. There are thousands of people who have internal rectal prolapse but don't know it because they have no symptoms. When it does cause symptoms they generally cause problems going to the bathroom even though the urge to go is quite strong. The fact is that 50% of people over the age of 60 have an internal prolapse.

The internet is a great place to find out all sorts of information but it is also a dangerous place as you can end up with all sorts of wrong information and you end up thinking you have only got a few days to live, if you know what I mean!!!

The chances are that you just have a bit of temporary constipation which your doctor will sort out for you. The worst thing you can do at this stage is to worry about it as this won't help at all. However, if your doctor doesn't help or if he diagnoses you with internal prolapse (which is very unlikely) or IBS then come back here and we can work through it together.

In the meantime tell your Mom how you feel because you need her help and try hard not to worry about it. Let me know how you get on. Good luck.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
(male)

samuelegit HB User

Okay so I went to the doctors and they said I have IBS. Ugh. The doctor checked my stomach area; all over. He immediately told me, "you have IBS..." so I'm kind of relieved but than again, it sucks not spending time in the bathroom like a normal person, not eating normal foods. BUT, he said if my problem doesn't go away in a week, I have to return to him and see if it's anything else. I'm hoping and praying it's just something small. If I do have IRP, I wanna request a doctor from Britain who did a surgery on a girl name Zoe. His name is Mr. Ian Lindsey an he works in Oxford Radcliffe Hospital? I guess it's somewhere in the UK. That's IF I do have IRP. But I'm guessing it is just IBS since the doctor knew automatically and I guess I was showing syntomps. (:

Old 06-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
(female)

agrajag HB User

Samuel, while bowel problems are often much more unpleasant than doctors like to portray, most mild long term problems will improve with one measure or another. Surgery is quite a drastic step, and while it does help many it can cause negative effects for others. At the moment, you don't yet know if you have irp as the source of your issues and it may even be more likely you have ibs as your doctor said. What made you want to go see a surgeon all the way in the uk, was it something from these boards or just the article you mention? How long have you been having constipation issues, and what have you tried so far to help? Have you tried citrucel fibre or magnesium, or Miralax? How much water do you drink a day?

Old 06-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
(male)

samuelegit HB User

Well I think I do have IBS too. I can still go bathroom. No blood no mucus. Just my stool co
comes out softer than what I use to go. I drink plenty of water and I eat lots and lots of fiber foods. BUT, I have to watch for some fruits in which may cause my stomach pains. ): lol but I did read an article online called "doctors thought I had IBS but I really had internal rectal prolapse" something like that. But its on a dailymail article. She pretty much was thirsty and going to the hospital every month;Zoe. I haven't got that bad. So I think it was just my hypochondriac getting to me. But, you should really look into the article. Maybe it could help you or anybody else dealing with IRP. (: btw: are you still suffering from this cause or did you already perform surgery? I'll try to find a link I the article once I get on my PC. I'm on my phone
-Samuel

Old 06-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #10
(female)

agrajag HB User

Mm yes I did read the article..I had the surgery described in the article with the surgeon featured in the article. But it made my symptoms worse rather than better. It is likely that this surgery helps many with these symptoms but it would seem it can worsen things for a percentage. What medicines if any are you taking now for your symptoms? Certain ones can make a big difference to people. Also, do you get your symptoms each day, or do they come and go? Are you managing OK at school with your symptoms?

Closed Thread