HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Bowel Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bowel-disorders/)
-   -   Weird bowel issue!! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bowel-disorders/921803-weird-bowel-issue.html)

Robbo47 10-06-2012 04:28 AM

Weird bowel issue!!

Hey,

I'm 21 years old, relatively healthy. I don't smoke and I rarely drink! However for the past month or so, I'm having the odd occurrence of bright blood on my tissue paper after using the toilet. This only happens once every other week and sometimes it stops all together.

My stool feels very hard and it causes me some pain once passing. This is when the blood usually occurs. Could anybody give me some idea of what this is? And how to go about dealing with it. As I said, it really feels like I'm re-opening a scab due to the stopping and starting of blood occurrence!!

Many thanks,
Ryan

flipfleury 10-06-2012 09:54 PM

Re: Weird bowel issue!!

[QUOTE=Robbo47;5067961]Hey,

I'm 21 years old, relatively healthy. I don't smoke and I rarely drink! However for the past month or so, I'm having the odd occurrence of bright blood on my tissue paper after using the toilet. This only happens once every other week and sometimes it stops all together.

My stool feels very hard and it causes me some pain once passing. This is when the blood usually occurs. Could anybody give me some idea of what this is? And how to go about dealing with it. As I said, it really feels like I'm re-opening a scab due to the stopping and starting of blood occurrence!!

Many thanks,
Ryan[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you may have an anal fissure. Having large dry hard stool and straining will cause this to happen. The best thiing you can do is to drink more water and eat a high fiber diet to keep you regular and your stool soft enough to pass without opening up the fissure again.

Robbo47 10-07-2012 02:42 AM

Thank you so much for the reply. Does this heal itself over a period of time? Or will it continue to bleed?

Gugulimo 10-07-2012 10:49 AM

Hi Robbo,

I have had this for over 15 years on and off. It is when the stool is very dry and also sometimes when you eat very 'heaty' foods like vinegar, tomatoes, pineapple etc. Provided it is just the scarring when passing the stool, it doesn't necessarily lead to anything beyond that. However, it doesn't stop by itself either unless you introduce a diet change. Drinking ample amounts of water helps.

Also, you might find it REALLY helpful to eat pitted prunes. They make the stool passing a whole lot easier.

Other than that, eating foods that are high in fiber and taking some fruits to your diet may help you out :-)

solofelix 10-07-2012 11:40 AM

Hi,
Eat fresh or dried figs, you will never strain they really work.
Just two or three every day and you will find a difference. You may have a hemorhoid, straining when emptying the bowels can cause them to bleed.

I wish you well,
Solofelix.

Robbo47 10-07-2012 12:49 PM

Thanks so much for the replies. I went to my GP today, had a full check. It's exactly as you said. Just need to stop straining and eat food to help soften the stool!

I'm so relieved, I've been worried sick for weeks.

Cheers guys!

solofelix 10-07-2012 02:08 PM

[QUOTE=Robbo47;5068589]Thanks so much for the replies. I went to my GP today, had a full check. It's exactly as you said. Just need to stop straining and eat food to help soften the stool!

I'm so relieved, I've been worried sick for weeks.

Cheers guys![/QUOTE]

"Good News",

Dont forget, penty of fruit, veg and water.
Also the figs,

Keep Well,

Solofelix.