It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 03:28 AM   #1
(male)

Robbo47 HB User
Weird bowel issue!!

Hey,

I'm 21 years old, relatively healthy. I don't smoke and I rarely drink! However for the past month or so, I'm having the odd occurrence of bright blood on my tissue paper after using the toilet. This only happens once every other week and sometimes it stops all together.

My stool feels very hard and it causes me some pain once passing. This is when the blood usually occurs. Could anybody give me some idea of what this is? And how to go about dealing with it. As I said, it really feels like I'm re-opening a scab due to the stopping and starting of blood occurrence!!

Many thanks,
Ryan

Old 10-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Weird bowel issue!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo47 View Post
Hey,

I'm 21 years old, relatively healthy. I don't smoke and I rarely drink! However for the past month or so, I'm having the odd occurrence of bright blood on my tissue paper after using the toilet. This only happens once every other week and sometimes it stops all together.

My stool feels very hard and it causes me some pain once passing. This is when the blood usually occurs. Could anybody give me some idea of what this is? And how to go about dealing with it. As I said, it really feels like I'm re-opening a scab due to the stopping and starting of blood occurrence!!

Many thanks,
Ryan
It sounds like you may have an anal fissure. Having large dry hard stool and straining will cause this to happen. The best thiing you can do is to drink more water and eat a high fiber diet to keep you regular and your stool soft enough to pass without opening up the fissure again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2012, 01:42 AM   #3
(male)

Robbo47 HB User

Thank you so much for the reply. Does this heal itself over a period of time? Or will it continue to bleed?

Old 10-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
(female)

Gugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB User

Hi Robbo,

I have had this for over 15 years on and off. It is when the stool is very dry and also sometimes when you eat very 'heaty' foods like vinegar, tomatoes, pineapple etc. Provided it is just the scarring when passing the stool, it doesn't necessarily lead to anything beyond that. However, it doesn't stop by itself either unless you introduce a diet change. Drinking ample amounts of water helps.

Also, you might find it REALLY helpful to eat pitted prunes. They make the stool passing a whole lot easier.

Other than that, eating foods that are high in fiber and taking some fruits to your diet may help you out :-)

Old 10-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,
Eat fresh or dried figs, you will never strain they really work.
Just two or three every day and you will find a difference. You may have a hemorhoid, straining when emptying the bowels can cause them to bleed.

I wish you well,
Solofelix.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
(male)

Robbo47 HB User
Talking Re: Weird bowel issue!!

Thanks so much for the replies. I went to my GP today, had a full check. It's exactly as you said. Just need to stop straining and eat food to help soften the stool!

I'm so relieved, I've been worried sick for weeks.

Cheers guys!

Old 10-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo47 View Post
Thanks so much for the replies. I went to my GP today, had a full check. It's exactly as you said. Just need to stop straining and eat food to help soften the stool!

I'm so relieved, I've been worried sick for weeks.

Cheers guys!

"Good News",

Dont forget, penty of fruit, veg and water.
Also the figs,

Keep Well,

Solofelix.

Reply Reply