HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Bowel Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bowel-disorders/)
-   -   No urge for daily bowel movement (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bowel-disorders/923309-no-urge-daily-bowel-movement.html)

solofelix 12-04-2012 07:51 AM

Re: No urge for daily bowel movement

Why dont you cut down on the amount of fibre you are consuming.
As an IBS sufferer I have found that too much can be as bad as too little and it's a case of adjusting the amount you take daily.
Cut down on Carbs or even leave off altogether, drink plenty of fluids and exercise daily.
Not everyone has a bowel movement everyday and I have found that diet and exercise for me is enough.
I wish you well,

Solofelix.

stefa191 12-05-2012 06:27 AM

I tried that. I forgot to take flaxseed that day, I didn't take any fruits either. The result ? 2nd day arrived and I had to drink milk of magnesia in order to get the feeling to go. It's like my colon decided to shut down its function. It is like there are no peristaltic wave movements/no colon contractions. Some years ago I didn't have this problem. I could get an extremely strong urge just by getting up from a chair.
Maybe it is IBS ? Is it possible to have IBS without spasms or any other symptom except the one I face now ?
And I always wondered about fruits and high-fiber foods. Their bowel movement capabilities (e.g kiwis) are when they end up in the large intestine or when they are fully digested in the small intestine (3-4 hours ?)

solofelix 12-05-2012 07:11 AM

[QUOTE=stefa191;5099566]I tried that. I forgot to take flaxseed that day, I didn't take any fruits either. The result ? 2nd day arrived and I had to drink milk of magnesia in order to get the feeling to go. It's like my colon decided to shut down its function. It is like there are no peristaltic wave movements/no colon contractions. Some years ago I didn't have this problem. I could get an extremely strong urge just by getting up from a chair.
Maybe it is IBS ? Is it possible to have IBS without spasms or any other symptom except the one I face now ?
And I always wondered about fruits and high-fiber foods. Their bowel movement capabilities (e.g kiwis) are when they end up in the large intestine or when they are fully digested in the small intestine (3-4 hours ?)[/QUOTE]

Different people suffer different symptoms with IBS.
Mine are mainly alternating Constipation/Diareah and Nausea.
Did you ever have a Colonoscopy to see what is going on and if so what was the diagnoses,

Solofelix.

stefa191 12-05-2012 07:22 AM

No, I haven't had a colonoscopy yet. The only reason I didn't visit a GI yet, is that I think it could be psychological reasons with the constipation as a result. While I was walking from school to home today, I was having an urge for 20 minutes to poop, actually in all distance. After I came home, it completely vanished and had not returend. The people usually get a stronger urge while they are close to a WC, but for me is exactly the opposite.
Today, I ate :
- 1 cup of bran flakes along with oat meal, and 2 glasses of water after 40 min (07:00 AM)
- 2 tablespoons of flaxseed followed by 2 glasses of water
- 1 Cup green tea
- 1 Glass with half lemon juice and honey in warm water
- 16 pieces of dried goji berries
- 1 Kiwi with its skin
- 2 glasses of water right now. (17:00 PM)
Not even diarrhea so far. What makes me really mad, is that when finally the miracle happens and get a mild urge, it can go away within seconds and don't come back again.
When I tried barley grass powder, I could get a strong urge which could not be lost next day and it was a very pleasant ! But the next day after BM, I get constipated. Strange ...

92261 12-21-2012 09:15 AM

Stefa191: How's it going? Have you had any luck getting your bowels to straighten out? Sometimes when I haven't gone for a while I drink a magnesium drink before I go to bed and also eat some nuts and raisins before bed. Try eating these fiber foods before bed, not during the day. They'll work in your stomache overnight and hopefully you'll feel the urge to go when you get up in the a.m. or right after you've eaten breakfast. This is a hard time with the holidays here. People tend to eat a lot of cookies and binding foods. I think I might have told you before, eat dark chocolate, salmon, greens, spinach, green smoothies, nuts, and take magnesium supplements. If you're a caffeine drinker, caffeine depletes magnesium and also can make you dehydraed since it's a diuretic. And BEANS and BEETS............ the B Blasters..........

stefa191 12-25-2012 05:47 AM

Oh hi again !
Well, the last few days I was regural. I could have a bowel movement easily, while I got back from school. The schools closed for the holidays, and I could easily get a strong-urge bowel movement directly when I wake up from bed in the morning. Since today. I got a very light sensation to defecate, but it was only gases. I changed nothing in my diet, but I can't understand what's wrong with me. I used to eat kiwi these days along with its skin. Yesterday I did not, as my stools tend to be more watery than usual. Maybe that's the problem, that I didn't feel any urge to defecate today.
I was able to poop without flaxseed, as I increased the fruits and water intake. But I think I ll have to start using it again. The poop is there, but without the sensation-to-go, it's impossible to poop.
I am thinking to use again some milk of magnesia, but the last time it was very painful for me. I got a hypermagnesemia, I was thirsty all the time, with headache. Furthermore, I got some very serious gases and diarrhea issues, that I was unable to make a step in the streets, due to terrible pains.
In conclusion, I don't drink coffee. Only teas that help pooping, green and yerba mate. Whether I poop or not, my life is miserable. I follow a strict diet, with each food/drink exactly in its time ... in order to be able to do, what almost all people can do without thinking it very much :(
I am afraid travelling, or going anywhere the time I am supposed to poop.Sadness ...

solofelix 12-25-2012 11:21 AM

I suffer from IBS and have a combination of D/C it can be one or the other or both in the same day.
I became obsessed with my diet for many months and like you I found on some days I had no urge to go and on others the complete opposite.
Some months ago I gave up all the different diets and returned to eating litterally anything, healthy and sometimes not so healthy and I also stopped worrying about my condition. I did this just to see what might happen, and do you know what!!...I have returned to an almost regular pattern with my bowels. I still get the old symptoms on and off but I no longer let it get to me. Stress will cause all manner of digestive issues.
This is just my story, yours may require further medical treatment.
All the same I wish you well,

Solofelix.

PoppiePalace 12-26-2012 01:37 PM

Stefa191, I truly empathsize with you. As I have mentioned before I too suffer from chronic constipation and people who are fortunate to have normal BM's do not understand our daily misery and how our bowel dysfunction interfers with the quality of our lives. What I keep hearing in your posts is that you are looking for that magic fix which is understandable due to your frustration. But as a result you keep changing things up once things stop working, which only throws your body into more distress. Have you taken the time to find out why your body is constipated, this is not normal. Other people get an urge to make a BM and sit on the toilet and go, so why not us? Are we just unlucky or is there something actually physiologically wrong with our bodies? It wasn't until my GI doctor discovered the bacterial overgrowth in my small intestine and then eradicated it that I am now able to get an urge to go and I sit on the toilet and just go. The remarkable part is I do this all on a very low fiber diet and I used to be the "Fiber Queen". I do eat absolutely NO diary and some other foods per this doctor's orders to keep the bacteria gone. The only thing I do still take is Miralax every night but we are going to wean me off of that also as time goes on. So my point here is if you can to find out the cause of your constipation so you will have a better idea as to how to treat it. Hang in there, I know your sadness and frustration.