It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
(male)

assbackwards HB User
Question Anal Fissure BEFORE Skin Tag Removal/Hemorrhoidectomy

I'm so pleased to have found this board and read many comments.

I have a specific question: has anyone had an anal skin tag removed (or had a hemorrhoidectomy) while having an anal fissure at the same time?

On 10/15/11, my first CRS diagnosed me with an anal fissure. On 11/4/11, he removed a large skin tag, promising me before the removal that I would recover over the weekend (I had this on a Friday) and back to work, pain-free on Monday.

Quite the opposite! The following week, I had an emergency room visit and 2-day hospital stay for extreme pain and inability to defecate (I didn't "go" for 9 days). When I got out of the hospital and went to see him to show him what had happened (my anus looked like bloody hamburger *sorry*), he said "he had never seen anything like this before."

Fast forward nearly a year and I continue to be in severe pain, taking 2 30mg Morphine Sulfate ER and 8 - 12 Norco PER DAY (!).

My new CRS was not able to examine me until she put me under general anesthesia this past Monday to take a full look because a digital rectal exam has been impossible due to the pain. In the Exam Under Anesthesia, she didn't have to look far - I had "one of the largest anal fissures she's ever seen, and I've seen a lot of them." Great.

What I'm wondering is: should my first CRS have performed a large skin tag removal procedure while I concurrently had an (what was at the time) acute anal fissure? I can't find anyone on any board having had this issue before, nor have I seen any any medical literature that says CRSs' should not (or should) remove anal skin tags if a patient also has an acute anal fissure.

Anyone else experienced this? Or know anyone who has? Your help and insight appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
(female)

mmmpie HB User
Re: Anal Fissure BEFORE Skin Tag Removal/Hemorrhoidectomy

I am so sorry to hear about your experience and hope you are doing better now. I did not have this done, but had my skin tag (a large one about 1 inch long) removed after my anal fissure had healed. I don't know if it's standard practice, but my colorectal doctor said she wanted to wait for my anal fissure to heal before doing the skin tag removal to avoid the possibility of it becoming chronic. My fissure was right on an internal hemorrhoid though, and I considered trying to do a hemorrhoidectomy right away because it seems like you can just get rid of it in one fell swoop and cut it off from the start. However, I couldn't get any second opinion appointments in time and my eventual course of treatment worked out. It did span over 2 months but I feel I endured less pain for less duration (mild to moderate) than a traditional hemorrhoidectomy. I suspect my doctor wanted my anal fissure to heal first before cutting anything to make sure the tissue was strong enough to heal and not become a chronic fissure.

Last edited by mmmpie; 11-07-2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: grammar

Old 11-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
(female)

DelicateFlower HB User

Hi there. I'm also dealing with a couple of large anal skin tags, a fissure, and internal hemorrhoids. My CRS told me that the skin tags formed in response to the fissure, so it would be pointless to remove them before the fissure healed because they'd just come back.

So sorry to hear that you're going through this. What a raw deal.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
(female)

Kel2895 HB User

Hi mmmpie, can you give any information on how the procedure/healing after the skin tag removal went for you? Also, can you say where you had it done? I too am looking at San Francisco and would love to find a good CRS. Thanks!

Old 01-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
(female)

mmmpie HB User

After removing the skin tag, it took me a full 10 days before I was normal and had no more pain when sneezing or evacuating my bowels. But, I only needed to use vicodin twice, and I was able to manage the pain with ibuprofen and sitz baths, so definitely not as painful of a recovery as I had feared. I went to the Center for Colorectal Health in SF - she's a gentle yet highly efficient doctor that works quickly (so minimal pain!) and helped me with 3 consecutive internal bandings using the O'Reagan system until all I had left was the skin tag, which was excised as an in-office procedure.

You can read more details if you're curious in this thread: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bowel-disorders/904013-chronic-prolapsed-hemorrhoid-fissure-can-heal-am-i-surgical-candidate.html

Please don't be scared by my experience though on page 2 - my case was very unusual because the skin tag came from a hemorrhoid that was present for 13 years, so, a blood vessel had developed in it. I think most do not have any blood vessels and have an even shorter recovery time than what I went through.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
(female)

Kel2895 HB User

Thanks for getting back to me mmmpie! I did read over your experience and it was some great insight. Can I ask, after all was said and done and the healing was complete, does the external area where the skin tag was removed heal back to its smooth original state (or close to that) or is there scar tissue left over? I am sure this varies from person to person, but have yet to read anyone say how the final result was post-healing. Thanks again for the info!!

Old 02-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
(female)

mmmpie HB User

It healed back to its original state, and I neither see nor feel any scar tissue. During the healing process, it looked like some skin stuck out because it was still swollen, but everything contracted and all smooth sailing now.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
(male)

srik10 HB User

HI I am in the same boat of fissure. Any advises you have ?

Reply Reply