Originally Posted by BigDadNate
1. I have been on a diet
2. I am diabetic
3. I have lost over 50 lbs
4. I have had a kidney stone recently and had to take pain meds.
5. I can easly drink 2 quarts of water sometimes 4 quarts of water while at work.
6. I sit at work 8 hours and sit on a 2 1/2 one way commute so that is 13 hours sitting.
I have tried taking Murelax, Metamucil, and I thought it was helping then it quit working. I am afraid I might end up with a worse issue then I currently have. I need to find an answer to fix this. The doctor had me take Murelax then after a while on that the nurse practioner told me to use Metamucil.
I just need to fix this.
I have extremely hard stool and I want to soften it by a LOT. I don't mind even at this point if it get to soft. I doubt this will ever be my problem.
I know there are a lot of supposed things out there but I don't need some product that will cure me that is a get rich scheme product of someones I just want this fixed.
I am new to this board and I have read a lot of different answers and a lot of them conflict with each other.
What I have found that works for me to soften my stools and keep my bowels moving on regular basis is :
1. a bowl of oatmeal with ground flax seed and cinnamon every day for breakfast. plus 6 stewed prunes or stewed apricots.
2. fruit like strawberries,watermelon,pears,peaches. vegetables like carrot sticks,celery sticks,sweet peppers like green or red, any two of these fruits or vegetables at lunch.
3. Two vegetables with dinner like broccoli,acorn or butternut squash,spinach,zucchini,sweet potato,pumpkin.
4. Drink an 8 oz. glass of warmed prune juice in the microwave or hot tea,hot water with lemon in it,or metamucil or Citrucel before bedtime.
5. Make it a priority to sit on the toilet every day at the same time to move your bowels. Give yourself at least 30 minutes either first thing in the morning when you first get up,after breakfast, take a short brisk walk after dinner then try moving your bowels,or 30 minutes before going to bed. Most people move their bowels about 30 minutes after eating a meal either after their breakfast in the morning or after their evening meal.
I have had chronic constipation problems all my life but since I started eating a high fiber diet,drinking lots of water,making it my number 1 priority to move my bowels every day before I even get into the shower in the morning. I have been doing this since March 2,2011 and it works with time,patience and commitment. I no longer have hard dried out bowel movements that cause me to strain to force them out. I hope this helps you like it has for me !