It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
(female)

EliHand HB User
Rectal Prolapse?

I am only 20 and have had a hard time dealing with my issue. When I was 13 I was assaulted and after I have had problems. I didn't tell anyone because of shame and fear. Recently I searched my symptoms and I fit the criteria for rectal prolapse.
I have been trying home remedies such as pushing it back in, keeping a healthy diet and using stool softeners. But, without fail no matter the consistency it still comes back out 1-3 inches.
I am worried about seeing another doctor because the last one I saw was rude and inconsiderate about my problem. He stated I was too young and I probably had a bad diet and would do nothing other than prescribe medication (stool softener) and told me to change my diet.
Is there anything else I can do? I don't want to go through another doctor, but I will if there is no other way.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
Re: Rectal Prolapse?

I am so sorry you had to suffer through an assault, and its lasting physical effects. I am also sorry you encountered such a jerk for a doctor!

There is nothing that can really be done naturally for a true rectal prolapse. There is likely damage that can only be surgically repaired. I know you are probably "gun shy" about seeking another medical opinion, but that is what you are going to have to do.

To decrease the risk of finding another dud, I would suggest going straight to a colo-rectal surgeon if possible. If it is too difficult to verbally tell the doctor or nurse that the problem is a result of assault, just write it down and hand the note to him/her. It is information the doctor needs. If you aren't comfortable with the doctor, you can leave and look for another! It's YOUR body and you DESERVE proper treatment! With your young age, I would say the chances of a good outcome are good, and again, you DESERVE a good outcome as you have a lot of living left to do!

Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply