It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 06:52 AM   #1
(male)

ppaul HB User
anal abcscess/fistula in GB

hi, after reading so many posts on here i am going to write my own account, just in case it/i can help anybody suffering from an abscess or fistula.

i visited GP surgery and saw a registrar who wouldnt examine me. told me to come back in two weeks if problem was still evident. the probem was a lump on my backside. was like sitting on my wallet. my own GP saw me on my return but did not present me with a diagnosis. arranged for tests. awaiting tests i ended up in A&E as my abscess had become inflamed and i was in agony.

i was admitted and the abscess cut open and drained. i thought that was the end of it but after six weeks waiting for the wound to heal and me self diagnosing my problem i was forced to go privately to see the surgeon as the nursing staff responsible for my care could not see a problem.

my surgeon diagosed an anal fistula. i had an MRI scan and it was found to be a high complex fistula. after 4 weeks i had a cutting seton fitted. this was very painful to start with. this was in place for 6 weeks before i was admitted for an exploritory op where this seton was removed and a drainage seton fitted. thsi was much more comfortable.

the cutting seton had not cut enough so a fistula plug was planned.

after10 weeks i have had this operation. 2 days ago. i am doing ok. pain not too bad. been to the loo and all ok. any questions feel free to ask as i am off work and a little bored, and willing to help of course.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
(female)

zara192 HB User
Re: anal abcscess/fistula in GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppaul View Post
hi, after reading so many posts on here i am going to write my own account, just in case it/i can help anybody suffering from an abscess or fistula.

i visited GP surgery and saw a registrar who wouldnt examine me. told me to come back in two weeks if problem was still evident. the probem was a lump on my backside. was like sitting on my wallet. my own GP saw me on my return but did not present me with a diagnosis. arranged for tests. awaiting tests i ended up in A&E as my abscess had become inflamed and i was in agony.

i was admitted and the abscess cut open and drained. i thought that was the end of it but after six weeks waiting for the wound to heal and me self diagnosing my problem i was forced to go privately to see the surgeon as the nursing staff responsible for my care could not see a problem.

my surgeon diagosed an anal fistula. i had an MRI scan and it was found to be a high complex fistula. after 4 weeks i had a cutting seton fitted. this was very painful to start with. this was in place for 6 weeks before i was admitted for an exploritory op where this seton was removed and a drainage seton fitted. thsi was much more comfortable.

the cutting seton had not cut enough so a fistula plug was planned.

after10 weeks i have had this operation. 2 days ago. i am doing ok. pain not too bad. been to the loo and all ok. any questions feel free to ask as i am off work and a little bored, and willing to help of course.

I think your post is the latest regarding anal fistula's! thanks for writing your account i just had a seton stitch placed 3days ago and only managed to go to the toilet today coz of pain!.. this started out as an abcess back in june earlier this year, where i had to have it drained however the wound did not heal so its led to this.. kind of nervous coz im 21 and noone my age has a clue what its about and im scared of the risks which can be feacel incontinence!.. anyway its been a few months since you posted hope its going well for you

Old 12-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
(male)

ppaul HB User

i feel so sorry for you. i guess the seton is a cutting one if its painful? saying that mine took a week before it became really painful. but when it did, boy did it hurt! i was told that it took so long to hurt due to local anaethetic injected during the operation.
the surgeon will do everything possible to avoid cutting sphincter muscles. it all depends on how high the fisula is as to whether it is really problematic or just a nuisance.
my plug has stayed in but i was given little guidance as to how long things should take and what to look out for. i go back on monday but i still have a discharge so am not very confident.
are you taking painkillers? if so not codeine as it bungs you up. laxatives/stool softeners are helpful.
hope this helps. sorry i cant be more comforting but my problem started just under a year ago and i am still struggling with it. a cutting seton was the worst part of my treatment so far.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
(male)

ppaul HB User

been back to see consultant today. although there is still discharge and yesterday i bled again, brought on by bowel movemen, he is still quite happy with the progress. the plug was fitted about 6 weeks ago. with nobody giving me a time scale i was thinking it hadnt worked but he seems happy enough. time will tell.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
(female)

zara192 HB User

i rang NHS direct on saturday because of the pain and went into hospital clinic for a doctor to check up on it. she basically said its gonna hurt she said it didnt look infected thank god. She prescribed Diclofenac, i told her im not taking anything thats gonna make me constipated!.. think it may be a cutting seton stitch. it just says 'layed open and seton stitch' on the consent form. they want to see me again in 3 months. i think the worst is opening bowels and the pain in the morning is bad. i dont even know how you can tell if the seton stitch is working well. i guess we just have to be patient.

i guess when the consultant looks happy its a good thing? but its never a good feeling not knowing time scale coz then you cant make any definite life choices. for example i wana go back to university. i cant even make up my mind if i can go out of the city for christmas. all depends on pain.

i really hope the plug works or you once and for all. is it one of the last resorts?

Old 12-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
(male)

ppaul HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zara192 View Post
i rang NHS direct on saturday because of the pain and went into hospital clinic for a doctor to check up on it. she basically said its gonna hurt she said it didnt look infected thank god. She prescribed Diclofenac, i told her im not taking anything thats gonna make me constipated!.. think it may be a cutting seton stitch. it just says 'layed open and seton stitch' on the consent form. they want to see me again in 3 months. i think the worst is opening bowels and the pain in the morning is bad. i dont even know how you can tell if the seton stitch is working well. i guess we just have to be patient.

i guess when the consultant looks happy its a good thing? but its never a good feeling not knowing time scale coz then you cant make any definite life choices. for example i wana go back to university. i cant even make up my mind if i can go out of the city for christmas. all depends on pain.

i really hope the plug works or you once and for all. is it one of the last resorts?

Old 12-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
(female)

zara192 HB User

did you reply? it just appeared as a quote of my post?

Old 12-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
(male)

ppaul HB User

does diclofenac cause constipation??? i know codeine does, check on internet or ask a pharmasist.
laying open just means that it is cut open and left to heal as an open wound.
the seton may just be there for drainage, to make sure you dont get another abscess. if the consultant doesnt know if its a high fistula then i wouldnt have thought he would put a cutting seton in.
the seton , even a cutting seton does become less painful. its inconvenient after going to the loo more than anything. i showered after every BM.
3 months is a long time. i only had cutting seton in for 5 weeks then had an operation to remove it and see how things stood. drainage seton then in for 5 weeks. then plug fitted. i was private with setons though so taht may have made a difference.
i agree it is awful not knowing time scales. try to remember to ask more questions next tme. write questions down as its so easy to forget when you are in the consultants room.
you never know. if your fistula is a low one then laying it open will fix it and that will be that. maybe he checked on the height of it while operating last time?
good luck anyway. as for the plug being last resort...it should be first resort as its non sphincter damaging. just very expensive.

Reply Reply