It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
(male)

DystantMind HB User
Constipation, Thin Pencil-like Stools, Fleshy object poking out rectum

I've been constipated for a while, but only recently actually realized and started to try and solve it. I upped the fiber in my diet by a lot and actually started eating vegetables with my meals (I already drank quite a lot of water but I upped my intake anyway)

I thought this in itself would solve it but it actually appeared to get worse, so I saw a nurse about it who said I should try stool softeners and Fybogel. I've been using those all week (Since Monday) and I've seen noticeable improvement, although only towards the end of the week. The stools were still pencil-like though, and I still had to strain, but a definite improvement. I still don't feel my bowel is empty though and I am still bloated.

I feel there may be one large stool that still needs to be passed and I've been trying strenously all day to pass it but with no luck. It seems to poke out a little bit but that is it. And then about then minutes ago I was straining to try and pass it, and then touched it(icky, I know) and realised that the object I was trying to pass wasn't a stool at all. What it felt like was fleshy and very wet and didn't give off any strong odor either. It definitely wasn't a stool, I'll say that for certain.

Should I be concerned at all? I don't believe I've had any rectal bleeding, but I am colourblind and find it very hard to distinguish between red and browns, so even if was bleeding I probably wouldn't really notice.

Any help would be brilliant.

Last edited by DystantMind; 10-27-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Constipation, Thin Pencil-like Stools, Fleshy object poking out rectum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DystantMind View Post
I've been constipated for a while, but only recently actually realized and started to try and solve it. I upped the fiber in my diet by a lot and actually started eating vegetables with my meals (I already drank quite a lot of water but I upped my intake anyway)

I thought this in itself would solve it but it actually appeared to get worse, so I saw a nurse about it who said I should try stool softeners and Fybogel. I've been using those all week (Since Monday) and I've seen noticeable improvement, although only towards the end of the week. The stools were still pencil-like though, and I still had to strain, but a definite improvement. I still don't feel my bowel is empty though and I am still bloated.

I feel there may be one large stool that still needs to be passed and I've been trying strenously all day to pass it but with no luck. It seems to poke out a little bit but that is it. And then about then minutes ago I was straining to try and pass it, and then touched it(icky, I know) and realised that the object I was trying to pass wasn't a stool at all. What it felt like was fleshy and very wet and didn't give off any strong odor either. It definitely wasn't a stool, I'll say that for certain.

Should I be concerned at all? I don't believe I've had any rectal bleeding, but I am colourblind and find it very hard to distinguish between red and browns, so even if was bleeding I probably wouldn't really notice.

Any help would be brilliant.
It might be a skin tag or a hemorrhoid. Usually hemorrhoids will bleed when you strain to try to pass hard stool. Instead of straining to try to move your bowels, try doing slow deep breathing exercises. It does work but it does take longer sometimes to pass stool but at least you won't cause any hemorrhoids to start or anal fissures. This is what I do when I need to move my bowels, I take a slow deep breath and hold it the count of 15 then I slowly exhale through pursed lips and keep repeating this cycle until I have moved my bowels. If I am very constipated then it can take up to 30 minutes for me to be able to move my bowels.
I can tell you from personal experience of being chronically constipated all of my life that if I take the time to sit on the toilet every morning at the same time to move my bowels then I don't get constipated. If I allow myself to go more than 36 hours without moving my bowels,then it hurts to try to move them and it takes a lot longer to go and I usually have to use a glycerin suppository to go. I know for myself that my water and fiber intake also have a whole lot to do with my chronic constipation. Also,delaying moving your bowels too long after the intial urge to go or ignoring the urge because you don't think you have the time to go will cause chronic constipation problems. I use to do this a lot when I was a kid. I hope this helps you !

Reply Reply