It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User
Infrequent bowel movements

At what point should I be concerned?

I am going once every four days.

I have heard of people that have a bm once a week and they seem fine.

Last edited by kevinla; 10-28-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Infrequent bowel movements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinla View Post
At what point should I be concerned?

I am going once every four days.

I have heard of people that have a bm once a week and they seem fine.
Are you having to spend more than 30 minutes on the toilet trying to move your bowels ? Do you ever have blood on the toilet paper after moving your bowels ? Do you have to strain and force yourself to move your bowels ? Are your BM's large and very dried out ? If you are answering yes to any of these questions then you are constipated.
I can't imagine only moving your bowels only once a week without being in excruiating pain when you finally do move your bowels. I can't go more than 48hours without moving my bowels or I am crying and have tears streaming down my face just trying to force myself to have a BM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipfleury View Post
Are you having to spend more than 30 minutes on the toilet trying to move your bowels ? Do you ever have blood on the toilet paper after moving your bowels ? Do you have to strain and force yourself to move your bowels ? Are your BM's large and very dried out ? If you are answering yes to any of these questions then you are constipated.
I can't imagine only moving your bowels only once a week without being in excruiating pain when you finally do move your bowels. I can't go more than 48hours without moving my bowels or I am crying and have tears streaming down my face just trying to force myself to have a BM.
Strain and force, large and dried out.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinla View Post
Strain and force, large and dried out.
Try doing this routine every day.
Drink at least 64 oz. a day of water.
Increase your dietary fiber slowly over a two week period to 25-30 grams a day.
Take either Citrucel or Metamucil 3 times a day.
Have a set time schedule every day to sit on the toilet to move your bowels. Allow 30 minutes for this. You may need to use a glycerin suppository for the first 3-4 days to get your body use to moving your bowels on a regular basis and to help soften the stool in your rectum to make it easier to pass. I have found that doing slow deep breathing exercises while sitting on the toilet makes it a lot easier to move my bowels without straining or forcing yourself to push the bowel movement out. I listen to relaxing music while doing the slow deep breathing,it helps to relax my mind and body quicker. It takes about 1-2 weeks to establish a regular schedule for moving your bowels daily.
If you follow this schedule every day then you won't have anymore constipation problems. I have been doing this routine since March 2,2011 and I move my bowels daily and sometimes 2-3 times in one day. Before I started doing this program, I was always constipated and in so much pain just trying to go after 2-3 days in a row of not going. I have had this constipation problem since very early childhood and I am 51 years old. I can tell you from my own personal experience that if I get lazy about not doing this routine for more than 2days in a row then I suffer the awful painful consequences on the third day !
I have read that people who are always constipated have a higher risk for developing colon and rectal cancer later on in life. I have had 2 uncles on my dad's side of the family die from colon cancer and my aunt on my mom's side of the family died from colon cancer in December of 2010.
I sure hope you will give this routine a try for at least 2 weeks to see if it works for you as well as it has for me. "An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure." This is so true !

Old 10-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
(female)

elizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB User

Doctor Oz said that massaging your stomach, following the direction of your bowel, can be helpful. I find it helpful. And the best fiber for ME to eat is salad. I try to eat a huge salad and have an all fruit smoothie everyday.

Last edited by elizabeth62; 10-29-2012 at 03:24 AM.

Reply Reply