It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
(female)

RPM12 HB UserRPM12 HB UserRPM12 HB User
Split hemorrhoid

Hello everyone and thanks for reading.

I have had hemorrhoids with some pain for about a year now. But for the past week I have had severe pain. I went to an urgent care and they said I had a hemorrhoid that split open.

I was given proctofoam, and Miralax, although I have been keeping my bowels soft, anyway, since I started getting the hemorrhoids.

The urgent care gave me an appt to see a Gastroenterologist, who was my choice. She does hemorrhoid minor surgeries, with injecting them, although doesn't do the full hemorrhoidectomy.

Problem is she can't get me in until 1/4. Will this thing heal before that, or am I going to be in this much pain until then? Can anyone tell me how long it normally takes a 'split' hemorrhoid to heal?

Thanks so much!

Old 11-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
(female)

greeneyez 1966 HB User
Re: Split hemorrhoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM12 View Post
Hello everyone and thanks for reading.

I have had hemorrhoids with some pain for about a year now. But for the past week I have had severe pain. I went to an urgent care and they said I had a hemorrhoid that split open.

I was given proctofoam, and Miralax, although I have been keeping my bowels soft, anyway, since I started getting the hemorrhoids.

The urgent care gave me an appt to see a Gastroenterologist, who was my choice. She does hemorrhoid minor surgeries, with injecting them, although doesn't do the full hemorrhoidectomy.

Problem is she can't get me in until 1/4. Will this thing heal before that, or am I going to be in this much pain until then? Can anyone tell me how long it normally takes a 'split' hemorrhoid to heal?

Thanks so much!
hello im sorry you are dealing with this noone knows for sure how long it will take maybe it will heal on its own before you go but i have a question for you i think i have hemorrhoids for the first time and they are driving me nuts its probably my fault because i dont drink water or do i eat anything healthy , but can you tell me your symptoms from your hemorrhoid?? i really dont have pain i had alittle bit of blood when i wiped but it was just that one time the complaint i have is that im uncomfortable i feel like i have a wedgie all day long like something is stuck in my butt ive tried prep h but it doesnt seem too be helping that much and sometimes i get some discomfort in my stomache any suggestions ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
(female)

Sounds like hems to me. Take care of them before they get like mine. Lots of water, a stool softener (cheap at Walmart), and fiber. Check with a Doctor, though. Good luck.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
(female)

mmmpie HB User

Is this appointment not until January? That's such a long time to wait, and a colorectal doctor might be better than a gastroenterologist.

Is your hemorrhoid internal or external? I don't know what it means "split", but I'm assuming it means blood appeared and it's like a cut on the hemorrhoid, which is very similar to what I went through.

Overall it might be easier to find relief and other methods of coping if you treat it like an anal fissure (so the warm sitz baths you mentioned help a lot!).

I had a chronic prolapsing hemorrhoid that got so large, a wound appeared on it, and it took a full 4 weeks before it started healing, but this was done with the help of: 2 partial rubber bandings that kept making the hemorrhoid smaller, done in 2 week intervals (the CRH O'Regan system from Colorectal Health Center makes this not so painful and very fast), and a prescription of nitroglycerin ointment that is diluted to 0.2%, which is a custom compound the pharmacy has to do for you. General prognosis for anal fissures to heal is 2-4 weeks. My primary care physician was able to prescribe the nitroglycerin ointment if you can't wait, but if you can make it to a local Colorectal Health Center, my doctor there made her own compound that had the nitroglycerin with vitamin E and zinc oxide that helped speed up the healing process, and you can ask for something similar if possible.

If you are also having internal spasms of pain, that is common for people with anal fissures, and it also slows down the healing process because it keeps spasming and potentially reopening the wound. My CR doctor prescribed valium for me that helped me relax and sleep off the pain.

Good luck with healing. If yours are internal, I really recommend to get ligation banding - easier to deal with this when they're smaller, and it sounds like since you've only had it for a year, it'll be easier to address now before it becomes chronic (mine was odd and I dealt with it for 12 years!). Based on what I read from other people, the injection methods were not very successful and had re-occurrence. To prevent my own re-occurrence, I still take a small dose of Citrucel powder every day to ensure I have enough fiber and go regularly each day. The Miralax is nice and gentle, but sounds like it might not be necessary for you since your bowels are already soft. Not sure if this will be helpful, but I wrote my own experience here: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bowel-disorders/904013-chronic-prolapsed-hemorrhoid-fissure-can-heal-am-i-surgical-candidate.html

Old 11-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
(female)

Thank you so much for the information.

Yes, my appt is not until January. I'm not overly happy about that. The Doctor I will be seeing is a gastroenterologist, but she is in a group including colon rectal physicians.

My hemorrhoids are just inside the anus, just inside. And so far are not protruding. The one feels huge to me. The Doctor said it just split open as it got so large. He said that's common. The exam was very painful. He told me I do not have any anal fissures. However I am having spasms of pain.

A lot of good info, and I am printing it out to take with me. Thank you again.

By the way, I picked this Doctor as she has rave reviews, and kindness and gentleness was mentioned. I have a severe doctor phobia.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
(female)

mmmpie HB User

Sounds like you're best waiting for the right doctor then! The hospital I was dealing with first referred me to the gastroenterology and then when I finally got through to them, they threw me back to colorectal surgery, but yours sounds like they're organized much differently.

If you have a flexible schedule, maybe try calling every day in the mid-afternoon in case there are last minute cancellations for the next day to be seen earlier. I just can't imagine you having to wait that long before getting any relief. It does seem like it could potentially heal on its own by then, but you should still seek treatment anyway to prevent it from happening again.

Maybe what you are describing was a thrombosed hemorrhoid that split open and isn't a fissure at all - that should heal faster than an anal fissure, but, is extremely painful. I kept taking ibuprofen around the clock to reduce swelling and pain too.

The Following User Says Thank You to mmmpie For This Useful Post:
RPM12 (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
(female)

I am going to start calling to see if I can get in earlier. It doesn't seem to be getting any better, and every time I go anywhere in the car it hurts incredibly for a few days.

Thank you once again. I so appreciate your help.

Reply Reply