It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
(male)

DystantMind HB User
Chronic Constipation

I'm a 19 year old male.

I've been pretty badly constipated for the last 3-4 weeks. I feel my bowels are full but I can't seem to empty them, and when I do manage to have a bowel movement the stools are very small and I do not feel my bowel is emptied.

I am pretty sure the problem isn't with my diet or exericse. My diet consists of more than 5 fruit and vegetables a day, I only drink water (no fizzy drinks). I do plenty of exercise... 70 mile bike rides, jogging, karate, parkour and a gym membership. Despite this I still find myself struggling with constipation. I just do not understand!

I've had constipation on and off since as long as I can remember. I don't get any pain, I just feel lethargic and a feeling that my bowel is full. Also I am extremely bloated, I look like I should be pregnant.

I've tried laxatives, fybogel, stool softeners and nothing has seemed to work. I really don't know what else the problem could be. Any ideas?

Old 11-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
(female)

boobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB User
Re: Chronic Constipation

hi there. you should start eating cereals high in fibre, (fibre1, all bran, raisin bran, etc). fruit and things like that have low fibre content unless you eat a lot of skinned fruits, like apples, grapes, pears, etc. you shouldn't be taking laxatives or stool softeners, at least not often, as your bowels can become dependant on them and the muscles will weaken. try getting yourself on a daily intake of metamucil and take it continuously. some of us don't digest as well as others, therefore the food is not breaking down as quickly. you're very young to be having these problems. have you been to a gastroenterologist? family doc? you should have this checked out.

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-06-2012 at 01:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2012, 02:54 AM   #3
(male)

DystantMind HB User

I already eat cereals high in fibre. I usually eat Bran or Oats. I eat wholemeal bread, wholemeal pasta.

I think I've been constipated (the severity deviated) for up to 6-7 years. I remember I used to get really bad stomach cramps but I never put it down to constipation. I've always had to strain for a bowel movement. I've had really bad back and leg pain. I feel so lethargic that I just don't want to do anything. I'll get 8-9 hours sleep, I'll feel tired througout the day and will have to sleep at around 5 o clock in the evening. I've had bloodtests and I do not have diabetes and I don't have a thyroid problem

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-06-2012 at 01:40 PM.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
(female)

elizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB User

I have chronic constipation and I give myself an enema everyday. It's inconvenient, but if I don't do it, I am in pain nearly 24/7.

With the water in me, I message my stomach, until I feel the urge to go.
I do this over and over, for about an hour, until I am empty.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Have you ever tried a bowel retraining program ?
I am a 51 year old female,who has had constipation problems all of my life. I was even hospitalized for it when I was about 3 or 4 years old. I certainly understand your discomfort and frustrations with being constipated all the time.
What you do to retrain your bowel is:
1. Eat a breakfast with a high dietary fat and fiber in it.
2. Go sit on the toilet to try to move your bowels about 20- 30 minutes after you finish your breakfast. Do these first two steps everyday at the same time. Give yourself 30 minutes on the toilet.Try reading or listening to music to relax your body. You may need to use a glycerin suppository to get your bowels to move and get your bowels used to moving at the same time each day. It can take up to a week or two to establish a regular routine for your bowels to move.
3. I found that if I took Citrucel twice a day with an 8 oz. glass of water before after taking the Citrucel it seemed to work faster in my body because of the extra glass of water.
4. I also found that if I do slow deep breathing exercises while sitting the toilet it makes it easier to move my bowels without having to strain so hard to go.
5. Once you have established a daily routine for moving your bowels,stick to that routine.

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-06-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
(male)

stefa191 HB User

I have constipation issues with difficulty in peristaltic waves. Flaxseed worked for me and I strongly recommend it for you.I was regular everyday until today which I hadn't take it and therefore did not have a bowel movement.
Sometimes, if you bowel is too lazy to defecate, whatever you will do (unless laxatives) won't work, it can be so unbelievably stuborn. At my case, I did a 20 min swimming today, bicycling, walking and jogging, drunk 10 glasses of water, goji berries, 2 oranges, salad and rye-bran flakes and I felt no uge to go !! Strange huh ?
If you want, you can try milk of magnesia when you feel really <<full>>, it's the safest laxative for short term use at my opinion. A 30-40 ml dose is enough for a bowel movement, and an 60ml one enough for a complete bowel cleanse. You bowel will be full of water and you will be running to the bathroom in 3-6 hours provided that you have eaten light stuff and lots of water.
You could also be gluten intolerant, have IBS-C (most common) or to have hypothireoidism (less common in males) so check them out.

Reply Reply