It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
(female)

SS08 HB User
Please help: pregnant and have a chronic fissure

Hi there,

I am 34 years old and have a BMI of 29. I have a chronic fissure which first appeared a year ago. On that occasion, it basically caused an itching sensation for a few days (no pain), so I didn't see a doctor and it wasn't diagnosed. It recurred in May 2012, causing a lot of pain and spasms for several hours a day, and was finally diagnosed as a chronic fissure + skin tag. Doc also said that the sphincter muscles looked very tight. I was prescribed GTN, which I applied for 3 weeks and it seemed to have cured the fissure.

I got pregnant in August, and was put on progesterone supplements. This, along with the associated hormonal changes caused hard stools which reopened the fissure. Doc prescribed GTN again - said it was safe to use while pregnant. I have been trying a combination of GTN, sitz baths and lactulose for 3 weeks now, with not much relief. I drink 3 litres of water a day. I tried stool softeners such as Dulcoease and drinking a fibre supplement, but only ended up feeling really bloated, with no discernible difference in stools. Pain usually lasts 5-6 hours after a BM, and there is general soreness in the area throughout the day. I have been trying to get 30 mins of exercise in the form of low impact walking every day, but sometimes I feel just too uncomfortable to attempt it. Thankfully so far it has not turned into the spasms I experienced in May, but is the typical 'glass shard' pain. My BMs range from semi-soft to hard, but that doesn't seem to make much of a difference to the intensity of pain.

I realize that I would probably need to explore surgical options such as LIS eventually, but I can't realistically plan that for the next several months till after I have my baby (hoping all goes well). I wonder if someone can suggest safe options for pain management and managing the fissure in general in the interim? Also, I live in London (UK) and so far have been pretty disappointed in the CRS I am consulting. Would be great to receive recommendations if any of you have consulted a CRS here.

Thanks a ton!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
(female)

Tessietimestwo HB User
Re: Please help: pregnant and have a chronic fissure

I truly sympathize. I am not pregnant but I have been suffering with an anal fissure for 9 months. Unfortunately I didn't get diagnosed until just a month ago. I also have Irritated Bowel Syndrome which causes me diarrhea and makes the fissure worse. I've been under naturopathic care, which is quite costly, but finally after five months of treatment, the pain is much less. Also at my second opinion with a G.I. last month, he has put me on a cream with Diltiazem, a blood pressure medication, to calm the spasming of the inner sphincter. These treatments have been very helpful, in conjunction with a very strict diet. I also found liquid diets help calm the pain. Being pregnant, they may not be an option for you. My new G.I. does not recommend surgery for fissures. There is no guarantee that it won't come back and from what I've read on the message boards, lots can go wrong. Investigate an anti inflammatory diet if you find certain foods trigger worse pain. Unfortuantely painkillers also cause constipation. I found that the less I eat, the less I poop, and the less I poop, the less pain I have. Rice and rice products cause a lot of volume. When I avoid them I have nicer BMs.

Good luck. Fissures are nasty, nasty things. But even after a year of constant, daily suffering, I am actually getting better.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
(female)

bp4life HB User
Re: Please help: pregnant and have a chronic fissure

Start drinking a large glass of prune juice before bed and that will soften the stool and make it easier.

Im 25 (not pregnant though) and i had the same symptoms as you. I think it was the student single lifestyle/diet that was making it difficult to go to the bathroom. The weird thing is I had been living on my own since I was 18 but I only started getting fissures when I was 23.

The cream the doctor gave never worked for me.

The beginning of this year I started using an anal lube tube i bought online (easier and cleaner than using my finger) to insert a mix of olive oil and basil oil into my bottom before a bowel movement, after and right before bed. Basil oil has healing properties and is anti-bacterial. It also has a minty feel so its very soothing after a bowel movement.

You can also use coconut oil for insertion.

Try to include more fibre in your diet. More fruit and veg.

I no longer use the oil mix. I only take 1 1000mg tablet of vitamin c + 2 250mg of magnesium every evening after dinner and i have had no fissures for months

Hope that helps. I know its a nightmare!

Reply Reply