It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
(female)

tomkat38 HB User
Question Overlapping Sphincteroplasty Surgery

Last week, after having several tests, my dr. recommended that I have an Overlapping Sphincteroplasty for incontinence issues. I'm in my mid-40's and have never had rectal surgery, kids, or any of the other stuff that typically causes incontenance problems. I was told that I didn't fit neatly into any particular catagory and was given three options 1) biofeedback, 2) surgery - sphincteroplasty 3) the nerve stimulator (sorry don't remember the name) surgery. Apparently, the sphincter muscle is not torn which is the usual reason for performing the surgery, but it is pretty stretched out. The theory being that the "anatomy" can be corrected thereby providing me with the proper muscle size, and if that doesn't correct the problem, it will provide the starting basis for further therapies.

I'm really conflicted about the surgery. I have found very little about individuals having this surgery for a stretched muscle vs. torn muscle. Also, my other question is does this mean the muscle is considered "damaged" beyond the point of correction via exercise?

Anyone have this but not because of childbirth trauma? Or can offer any advice or further ways to research? Thx!

Old 11-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
(female)

Babygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB User
Re: Overlapping Sphincteroplasty Surgery

If I were you I would try strengthening the muscles with kegels and biofeedback before doing any surgery. The surgery could make the incontinence issues worse, especially since your muscles are intact. Surgery is the last thing I would consider in your situation. It can take up to a year to strengthen those muscles properly. and 3 months before you notice a difference. So try that before doing anything else!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
overlapping sphincteroplasty