It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
(female)

meg24189 HB User
Not sure what I have... HELP

So this all started back in August. I was at work when I randomly got stabbing left side pain that would not subside. I thought they were menstrual cramps but mine are NEVER that strong and usually go away after taking some ibuprofen. They continued into the next day to the point where I couldn't walk. I went into urgent care and they did a urine sample and told me I had a UTI so they put me on antibiotics. They called me 2 days later said the culture came back negative and to stop taking the medicine. So I ended up going to ER because the pain (which was now a throbbing ache in my colon area) was still there. They did an x-ray and ultra sound which came back fine. Told me I could have diverticulitis or a kidney stone. Put me on medicine for a kidney stone and sent me on my way. At this point I had diarrhea and was very nauseous. I decided to see my primary and he did a pelvic exam and since the pain was subsided for the time being he called it IBS. I went on vacation for a few days to Disney World. When I returned home I found I had strep and was put on antibiotics. About a week later I started to get an abundance of mucous in my throat that would not go down or come up no matter how hard I coughed. I often see it sticking to the back of my throat and have to use a Q-tip to get it out. (gross I know...sorry). I also started to develop burning in my ears and a feeling that something solid was sliding up and down in my chest. One doctor told me it was a virus and prescribed me Prednisone and 800mg ibuprofen for 30 days twice a day. When this did not help, I went back to urgent care and he x-rayed me for a possible hiatal hernia but it came back normal. Put me on Prilosec which helped a ton and I made an apt with a gastro doctor. Sometime between all of this I developed bloody mucous in my stools every so often. The gastro doc said none of my side pain or changes in my bowel were bowel related. A bunch of crap right? So I saw an ENT for the mucous and burning in my throat and he stuck a scope down through my nose into my throat. Said everything looked fine. Told me to continue to take the Prilosec for 2-3 months twice a day. Sine September I have cut out all spicy and greasy foods as well as dairy. Nuts are extremely hard to digest all of a sudden so I cut those out too. I started juicing and stuck to a bland diet of noodles with olive oil and chicken. Tomato sauce gives me diarrhea now and I can't digest asparagus, blueberries, olives, carrots, and corn. Strawberries make me nauseous. I don't understand, I never use to have these issues before and I am not getting any answers. I think all the medicine wrecked my stomach but where do I go from here. I know I should start taking probiotics but how do it take it with Prilosec? Do I have colitis or chrons? A food intolerance? Parasite? Why so much mucous in my throat that won't leave? Please only respond if you have answers. The side pain and bloody mucous has returned. I am a 21 yr old female who is not being taken seriously because of my age and lack of family history. Any help is appreciated thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
(female)

DelicateFlower HB User
Re: Not sure what I have...HELP

Hi. I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this. I think you need to find a new gastroenterologist who will give you an endoscopy and colonoscopy. You didn't mention having those tests. Has anyone even requested a stool sample from you? These are pretty basic tests that should be done when someone has problems like the ones you're having.

I got really sick back in June, and it took two doctors and two colonoscopies in a month before things started getting under control. I am still having problems and seeking answers, so I know it's maddening, but you need to be your own health advocate and look for doctors who know what they're doing, and if you don't like one doctor, move on to the next one.

I certainly can't diagnose you over a message board, but I would seek out a hospital or doctor in your region who specializes in inflammatory bowel disease and see if you can at least find someone who knows where to begin to diagnose you.

The Following User Says Thank You to DelicateFlower For This Useful Post:
yrsofpainsucks (11-14-2012)
Reply Reply

Tags
colitis, food intolerances, ibs