It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User
Can constipation not mean anything?

I am 41 years old. Up until 6 months ago, I used to be regular.

My family does have have a history of constipation. Can it be genetic?

Could it be caused by stress?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Can constipation not mean anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinla View Post
I am 41 years old. Up until 6 months ago, I used to be regular.

My family does have have a history of constipation. Can it be genetic?

Could it be caused by stress?
It's possibly stress induced but more likely your fiber intake is too low and not drinking enough water. We all need to drink more water than we do. it's recommended that we should drink at least 64 oz. a day of water and get 25-30 grams of fiber daily.
Also, if we become too sedentary that slows that digestion process down. You may also might want to check out some of the side effects of any medications you may be taking on a regular basis because many prescription and over the counter drugs can cause constipation as a side effect and make constipation worse if the person already has constipation problems. Advil,Aleve, or pain medication usually causes constipation because it causes the digestion system to come to complete halt especially narcotics.
If you have a family history of constipation then you're going to become extra vigilant in keeping your bowels to move on a regular basis especially as you get older.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipfleury View Post
It's possibly stress induced but more likely your fiber intake is too low and not drinking enough water. We all need to drink more water than we do. it's recommended that we should drink at least 64 oz. a day of water and get 25-30 grams of fiber daily.
Also, if we become too sedentary that slows that digestion process down. You may also might want to check out some of the side effects of any medications you may be taking on a regular basis because many prescription and over the counter drugs can cause constipation as a side effect and make constipation worse if the person already has constipation problems. Advil,Aleve, or pain medication usually causes constipation because it causes the digestion system to come to complete halt especially narcotics.
If you have a family history of constipation then you're going to become extra vigilant in keeping your bowels to move on a regular basis especially as you get older.
You must be reading my mind.

My constipation started at the exact time I began taking medication 6 months ago. I also stopped consuming water regularly at that time due to taking this medication.

It makes sense.

However, for the past month I have been taking Metamucil and drinking more water. Fiber has never been an issue in my diet.

Still no bms.

Last edited by kevinla; 11-14-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinla View Post
You must be reading my mind.

My constipation started at the exact time I began taking medication 6 months ago. I also stopped consuming water regularly at that time due to taking this medication.

It makes sense.

However, for the past month I have been taking Metamucil and drinking more water. Fiber has never been an issue in my diet.

Still no bms.
I found that if i drink a 8 oz.. glass of water before and after taking Citrucel it seems to work better and faster. Also,I have found that having a set time every day to move my bowels keeps me from getting constipated. i hope this helps you.

Reply Reply