It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
(male)

RSPM48 HB User
Keys to Success for Sphincterotomy Recovery

Learned some important info from the board and felt Id share my experience.Im on my second day after operation.Had a only a little bit of pain the day of operation.First day after got off of pain med except right ebfore BM because it constipates.
BM was not that bad,just a little uncomfortable.Good idea to take pain med 1/2 hour before.Day 2 just a little bit of pain after BM.I have not had that much bleeding and Im not in pain.No leakage or problems at all.I feel the keys were nothing but fruits and vegetables the day before surgery with stool softener.After surgery I started stool softener,fiber and drank some Senna tea.Been eating nothing but fruit and vegetables.Stool Softener twice a day and fiber twice a day.Utilize the Sitz bath.This experience in not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.Keep your stools soft and dont be afraid.It will be well worth it if it works out.Dont be afraid

Old 11-19-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
(male)

blgtp HB User
Re: Keys to Success for Sphincterotomy Recovery

Ah, glad to hear a success story with this surgery. Been lookin around on this forum and hearing all kinda horror stories to the point I almost cancelled my appointment with the surgeon. It's just a consultation for the 29th but I was terrified.
I have suffered from the fissures for idk a couple years but they were always very minor and healed up within a day or two. And I went through a bad spell 2-3 months ago where I'd almost cry going to the bathroom and I had so much pain and blood. I am now using nitroglycerin ointment and on miralax every day.
I guess what I want to know from you is do they send you home with pain meds as well? I intend to let my surgeon know (if he does the surgery, maybe I can get lucky and he has a miracle fix) that I don't handle pain well at all so maybe he'll make sure I'm comfortable.

Also..There's LIS, which seems to be bearable..but the fissurectomy is where they score off the scar tissue is that right?? But also read that's an outdated thing to do?
Idk...all in all I'm absolutely terrified. I'm very young and suffer from health probs and I've never had surgery before and it's such a sensitive area and I'm trying to start a new job this is already ruining a small part of my life I just want it to be over. Any help from you sir, you seem to have a good experience with it, will be helpful

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
(male)

RSPM48 HB User
Re: Keys to Success for Sphincterotomy Recovery

They will prescribe pain meds.They gave me percocet.Did not have fissurectomy done, just LIS.Just make sure you are using stool softener,fiber and maybe laxative on day of surgery.Eat nothing but fruit and vegetables.I drank prune juice as well.Staying soft is a key.I dealt with the fissure on and off for almost 10 years and finally had enough.You just have to suck it up for a couple days.I was very nervous as well and didnt want to go through it,but I think its the right move.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
(male)

RSPM48 HB User
Regression in Keys to Success for Sphincterotomy Recovery

Well it hasnt all been clear sailing.I regressed a little bit on day 3-4-5.Painful BMs despite my routine.Very disappointing.Anal canal feels tight.Day 6 was a little bit better.Getting tired of my diet and balancing pain meds with stool softener,diet and laxatives.Hoping to get through this soon and it will be worth it in the long run.

Reply Reply