It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
(male)

Kalinakov HB User
Fissures and Piles, Oh My!

I've been a long time reader of these forums, ever since I started having my lil problem.

One afternoon, after a morning at the gym, I sat down for one of my favorites hobbies, evacuating my bowels. Little did I know, this one was special. As I sat there and got down to business I noticed some pain, sharp but brief. My moneymaker hurt for a couple of days but went away. This happened from time to time over the next year, and would always go away in about a week. Fast forward to 6-8 months ago. I was at work, about to again 'drop the kids off at the pool', but this would be no ordinary trip to the facilities.

The pain was incredible. Bleeding, pain, the feeling that I couldn't get it all out. I was a mess. Hot and bothered, and not in the good way, I looked down and noticed bright red blood in the thunder bucket with more on the toilet paper. For the last 6-8 months I'd been living with pain nearly every time I went to the bathroom. A bowel movement meant the rest of my day in bed.

About a month ago I saw my first colorectal surgeon. He poked and made some "hmmm" noises for a few seconds and said, "You have an anal fissure." I kinda knew this already from these boards and from my superior google skills, but it was still nice to hear a professional. He gave me Dilitazem 2% cream and told me to lube up 3x a day. For the last month I've had a anus in a constant state of lubrification (word created for effect). I'm not sure I've been doing it right. I still have a burning, painful feeling a bit inside my anus, but the painful lump that had always followed a bowel movement was nowhere to be found any longer. That is, until last Thursday. After an unpleasant (more so than usual) trip to the can, the raging anger beast was back. I've lived in fear of a movement for nearly a year. I've had one round of treatment that hasn't offered much relief. I have been able to have a fairly normal life, there is still pain but not AS bad until recently.

My questions for the group:

Have I been using the cream properly? Are you only supposed to smear it on the outside of the anus? My doctor really didn't give me any indication of proper application.

This being my second trip the the surgeon in a few hours, what might I expect as a next course of action? Have any of you experiences Piles over Fissures and had them cured without surgery with different applications of medication?

At this point I'm depressed, as I've read most become, and generally quite miserable. I welcome any feedback anyone has.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
(female)

MLVC HB User
Re: Fissures and Piles, Oh My!

Hi, I would ask if you can have botox injected, this relaxes the Anal Sphinter muscle, and helps it to heal.. Apparently this is used before considering surgery. They only do surgery as a last resort.I am currently battling a Fissure, and my doctor. They make you desperate and sad! Keep up hope. I have been researching natural methods.Lots of people are reporting that pure virgin coconut oil is a natural healer.I am going to try this.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
(female)

drm72 HB User

Believe me I know the painful and distressed phase you are going through. I've been to that for years now. After years of torturing I found peace at last. I had anal fissure surgery for twice. I had constipation and haemorroids problem for several years. Before consulting a doctor I was searching for a possible natural outcome to my problem the whole day on the internet. I'd tried hundreds of recipes including diet changes, drinking tonnes of water, lubrication, medication to contract capillaries to reduce bleeding, you name it....I was unable to work, I had that "always full" feeling. I never felt completely empty in spite of the fact that I was also using natural remedies to soften the stool.
One day I gathered courage and went to the doctor. He said I needed surgery immediately. I was so tired and desperate that I said yes. After the surgery I was reborn. I recovered in only a few days and the recovery period was not as bad as the times before. I was perfectly healthy only for 8 months until I had the whole thing again. Everything was being repeated. I couldn't be more scared. It was as painful as I don't know what...
After giving a chance to my natural remedies for another couple of months, I ended up crying for the surgery again. The second time was a bit harder because the fissure was a bit deeper this time. I recovered again in a few days and was still not feeling relieved that I was out of the pain. I did not know how to maintain the healthy state.
I decided to stick to my rich fiber, a lot of water diet, reduced my unhealthy processed food intake and lost a bit of weight. To sum it up, I'm trying to live a healthy life. It's been a year now after the surgery and I'm feeling great. Nothing to be afraid of the surgery.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
(female)

bp4life HB User

Im 25 and i had the same symptoms as you. I think it was the student single lifestyle that was making it difficult to go to the bathroom. The weird thing is I had been living on my own since I was 18 but I only started getting fissures when I was 23.

The cream the doctor gave never worked for me.

The beginning of this year I started using an anal lube tube (easier and cleaner than using my finger) to insert a mix of olive oil and basil oil into my bottom before a bowel movement, after and right before bed. Basil oil has healing properties and is anti-bacterial. It also has a minty feel so its very soothing after a bowel movement.

You can also use coconut oil for insertion.

you need more fibre in your diet. More fruit and veg.

I no longer use the oil mix. I only take 1 1000mg tablet of vitamin c + 2 250mg of magnesium every evening after dinner and i have had no fissures for months

Hope that helps. I know its a nightmare!

Old 12-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
(male)

Kalinakov HB User

Hey all. I appreciate all of your responses I find it hard to vocalize how much this sucks to someone with no concept of this pain.

Let me tell you where I am now. I'm on the nitroglycerin. I'm not sure it's really doing too much anymore. It no longer hurts to have a bowel movement, at least not during. Shortly after, if I do not apply nitro, I get a hard lump form. This is painful and something I've had all alone. So now I'm confused. Since I don't have pain during, does this suggest my fissure is gone? Is my problem now a hemorrhoid that needs to be taken out back and shot? I'm confused and concerned as I never had the spasms that people talk about with fissures. My doctor never really did an exam and never saw the fissure but was convinced that was it. Is it possible in just struggling with a hemorrhoid right now or is this still signs of an angry fissure?

I appreciate any feedback anyone provides.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
(female)

jg37 HB User

Hi

I would strongly suggest you get a second opinion. I had something very similar happen. In June, my fissure acted up and I went into a major flare up that lasted for almost 2 months. I used over the counter creams and it seemed to heal up. No pain, no bleeding. Then in Nov, I wasn't feeling right. I was hot, nausea and dizzy. I went to the bathroom and felt a big lump outside of the opening. I also had a lot of pus and blood. Cleaned up and went back to work. That night, things got progressively worse. I went in to see a surgeon two days later and was dx with a severe abscess and complex fissure. A week later, I developed a fistula. I had surgery a couple days ago to fix the damage that waiting did.

The point that I am trying to make is that if it hurt for a while and then suddenly stop and you have a bump, go in to the surgeon. Don't let it get bad. I paid the price for not going in sonner. I should have gone in to the dr's in June but I didn't have health insurance. Now, I am spending my winter break recovering from surgery.

thanks

Reply Reply