It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2
bowelforum1 HB User
Constipation - 25 year old female

I am a 25-year-old female who is in good health. I appear to have had constipation problems for a large part of my life, and it is now really interfering with my quality of life and daily living.

I have an appointment with a GI specialist next week. I keep a log of the amount of fiber I eat each day (average of 27 grams), number of BMs I have, and whether they are normal or not. I drink enough water and exercise enough. I just moved and started a difficult graduate program, so there is anxiety/depression present - however, I feel much of this originates because I am chronically constipated. I take laxatives and stool softeners as needed.


Can someone tell me if this is normal? Or if there is any particular disorder they might think I have/don't have?
- Number of BMs range from 1 to 3 per day, at different times of the day (morning, afternoon, evening)
- On average, I am constipated 2 days out of a 7-day week
- On average, 3-4 days out of the week I feel not empty/evaluated
- My menstrual period can cause me to become severely constipated, even though I consume enough fiber and water
- I have recurring anal fissures, blood from fissures, and consistent anal irritation/itching


Anyone believe I will be getting a colonoscopy?

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by bowelforum1; 12-02-2012 at 01:06 PM.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
flipfleury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Jose,Ca USA
Posts: 705
flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Constipation - 25 year old female

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowelforum1 View Post
I am a 25-year-old female who is in good health. I appear to have had constipation problems for a large part of my life, and it is now really interfering with my quality of life and daily living.

I have an appointment with a GI specialist next week. I keep a log of the amount of fiber I eat each day (average of 27 grams), number of BMs I have, and whether they are normal or not. I drink enough water and exercise enough. I just moved and started a difficult graduate program, so there is anxiety/depression present - however, I feel much of this originates because I am chronically constipated. I take laxatives and stool softeners as needed.


Can someone tell me if this is normal? Or if there is any particular disorder they might think I have/don't have?
- Number of BMs range from 1 to 3 per day, at different times of the day (morning, afternoon, evening)
- On average, I am constipated 2 days out of a 7-day week
- On average, 3-4 days out of the week I feel not empty/evaluated
- My menstrual period can cause me to become severely constipated, even though I consume enough fiber and water
- I have recurring anal fissures, blood from fissures, and consistent anal irritation/itching


Anyone believe I will be getting a colonoscopy?

Thanks everyone.
Unfortunately, as a woman when we get our menstrual period we tend to get constipated because of the hormonal changes that take place and then if we take advil,aleve,ibuprofen,etc for cramps from our period then its constipates you even more.
When you say you're constipated 2 out of 7 days of the week,do mean your bowel movements are hard and you have to strain to go or is because you don't move your bowels for two days in a row or both ?
I have had chronic constipation problems all my life so I completely understand your pain and misery. One of things that I have found that keeps me from getting constipated in addition to adequate water and fiber intake is to have a set time schedule for moving my bowels every day. I allow up to 30 minutes every day to move my bowels. I do this when no one else is up and around so I am not feeling rushed or get interrupted by anyone needing the bathroom. I listen to relaxing music with headphones on and do slow deep breathing exercises. This actually helps me to move my bowels without having to strain to go.
The doctor probably won't order a colonoscopy right away. He will do a rectal exam,x-rays, and maybe a barium enema and see what does show up on these first. I can tell you most doctors aren't much help with chronic constipation problems. They tell you to do what you're already doing and take miralax,stool softeners and enemas when needed. They never tell you to set a time aside every day to move your bowels so that you don't get constipated in the first place.
Ground flax seed in a bowl of oatmeal and eating 6 stewed apricots or prunes with my breakfast helps keep my bm's soft and helps keep me going regularly. Pears are great source of natural fiber. When they get over ripe I put them in a food processor or blender and make it like applesauce consistency and put it in my oatmeal or just eat it plain like you would applesauce. Acorn and butternut squash,sweet potatoes or yams at dinner helps me to move my bowels in the morning.
I hope these suggestions will help you to be on your way to moving your bowels on a daily basis and not to have the awful pain and misery of constipation problems.












h

 
Reply With Quote
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 12-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2
bowelforum1 HB User
Re: Constipation - 25 year old female

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipfleury View Post
When you say you're constipated 2 out of 7 days of the week,do mean your bowel movements are hard and you have to strain to go or is because you don't move your bowels for two days in a row or both ?
h
Generally, it means that I am straining and having hard stool. I sometimes go for a few days without a BM, but that's more rare. As I mentioned earlier, I have recurring fissures and worry about structural problems.


Quote:
Originally Posted by flipfleury View Post
I allow up to 30 minutes every day to move my bowels.
h
Me too. I almost always have a BM in the morning, but again, the number of BMs through the day can range from 1 to 3.



Quote:
Originally Posted by flipfleury View Post
The doctor probably won't order a colonoscopy right away. He will do a rectal exam,x-rays, and maybe a barium enema and see what does show up on these first. I can tell you most doctors aren't much help with chronic constipation problems. They tell you to do what you're already doing and take miralax,stool softeners and enemas when needed.
h
Hope this is not true - I am going to a prestigious medical center with very well known doctors. I have been told by at least 3 different family doctors/student health center doctors that I need to get a colonoscopy.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
flipfleury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Jose,Ca USA
Posts: 705
flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Constipation - 25 year old female

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowelforum1 View Post
Generally, it means that I am straining and having hard stool. I sometimes go for a few days without a BM, but that's more rare. As I mentioned earlier, I have recurring fissures and worry about structural problems.

Now when I am having hard stools and having to strain to go,I think back to how much water I drank and how much fiber I took in the day before and realize I didn't drink anywhere near the amount water I should have and the same with fiber. For, some reason I drink a lot less water on the weekends than I do during my work week and this is when I have more problems going. Weird huh ? I would think it would be just the opposite.

Me too. I almost always have a BM in the morning, but again, the number of BMs through the day can range from 1 to 3.

I notice most days I move my bowels once a day in the morning but on the days when I do move my bowels 2-3 times in the same day it's because I have been really good the day before about drinking water and eating fiber. Maybe that 's why you fluctuate between 1-3 bowel movements a day as well.




Hope this is not true - I am going to a prestigious medical center with very well known doctors. I have been told by at least 3 different family doctors/student health center doctors that I need to get a colonoscopy.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Constipation for the past year and a half CB8411 Bowel Disorders 1 01-21-2012 05:23 PM
Need Help with Severe Constipation!!! MarianJ Bowel Disorders 13 05-07-2011 05:02 PM
Constipation among other problems! kristymarie87 Bowel Disorders 21 05-05-2011 11:20 AM
Fiber only making my constipation worst? NY 1009 Bowel Disorders 8 03-09-2011 06:27 PM
On and off Constipation elizabethcedar Bowel Disorders 0 12-08-2008 09:24 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



flipfleury (33), solofelix (26), Babygirl43 (19), rufous57 (18), ladybud (16), quincy (15), sonray (15), TacomaGuy (14), sjb (13), nomorefissure (10)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1164), MSJayhawk (999), Apollo123 (898), Titchou (833), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (747), sammy64 (667), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:17 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.com™ All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!