It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
(female)

teresamichele HB User
First time seeing GI tomorrow - what to expect?

Hi all!

About a year ago I went through some nasty tummy troubles. Constant spasms, blood, leaking, audible tummy noises - the whole bit. My PCP did the blood test for Celiac but it was negative. I asked about Crohn's/UC but he said I wasn't sick enough. Fair enough, I guess. By then I had started to feel better, so I let it go.

Then it came back. My anemia (a constant problem) is back in full force. The tummy issues are on the upswing - it will often feel like I have a mixture of air and glass shards in various parts of my GI system. I don't digest food very well and it moves through my system pretty quickly (especially fresh veggies). I ended up in the ER this weekend due to being dehydrated enough for my blood sugar numbers (I'm diabetic) to shoot up. A bag of saline brought them back down.

After the anemia test about two weeks ago the PCP referred me to a GI that specializes in Crohn's/UC and anemia. I see her tomorrow, and the scheduler said they may do a flexible sigmoidoscopy (had to look that one up) since my symptoms are pretty severe. That way, I wouldn't have to come back for a colonoscopy (probably).

My question is...since I haven't actually been diagnosed with anything and I've never seen a doctor for something like this before - what should I expect? Are there specific questions I should ask? I am not really worried about it this point - I'm so miserable I don't even care what they do anymore, I just want to feel better.

I guess this is part venting/part a plea for help. So...help?

Oh, if it matters, female, 31, overweight (but have lost 5 lbs in the last week by eating poorly and not working out...the only upside to all of this I can see)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply