It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
(female)

MeMe1977 HB User
Question Locked bowels after hysterectomy

Tomorrow will be a week since I had my hysterectomy. The day after surgery, I was given a suppository. The nurse said that it should work within 15 minutes. After an hour, it still didn't work. So, I was given a cup of warmed apple & prune juice. After 2 hours, that still didn't work, so I was released to come home. When I got here, I took 2 tablespoons of Milk of Magnesium. None of those things helped. I sit up, Just thinking that ill automatically go. I've sat for a whole hour & nothing happened. I've read that this happens sometimes. I'm just thinking & feeling like a week is a long time. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

The Following User Says Thank You to MeMe1977 For This Useful Post:
sjb (12-05-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Locked bowels after hysterectomy

Greeting MeMe 1977! Welcome to the General Healthboards. My sympathies, I hope you feel better soon. Yes a week is a long time in my opinion. A professional could be asked about it. It does happen to some people. I would try okra, I would also drink a whole quart of warm water in the morning upon rising. I would later use more water later to be sure at least 50 ounces had been taken per 100 pounds body weight, and probably more than 50 ounces.

If there is no abdominal pain the physician could be asked if it is O.K. to use senna pod tea. A few pods could be put in a cup of hot water and steeped 20 minutes keeping the hot boiling water out of the reach of any existing children for safety's sake.

If surgery was done sometimes things happen such as an ileus from the bowel literally sleeping from anesthesia or stopping from trauma, sometimes it twists. If there is no bowel movement of course there is an X-ray test to see what happened in case they need to go back in. Of course everyone makes their own healthcare decisions in life. Peace, sjb

Last edited by sjb; 12-04-2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: additin

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
MeMe1977 (12-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Are you taking pain meds? They cause constipation.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
sjb (12-05-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMe1977 View Post
Tomorrow will be a week since I had my hysterectomy. The day after surgery, I was given a suppository. The nurse said that it should work within 15 minutes. After an hour, it still didn't work. So, I was given a cup of warmed apple & prune juice. After 2 hours, that still didn't work, so I was released to come home. When I got here, I took 2 tablespoons of Milk of Magnesium. None of those things helped. I sit up, Just thinking that ill automatically go. I've sat for a whole hour & nothing happened. I've read that this happens sometimes. I'm just thinking & feeling like a week is a long time. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?
Try using another glycerin suppository. After 30 minutes, try sitting on the toilet and taking slow deep breaths and hold it the count of 10 and slowly exhale,repeat the slow deep breathing 10 times. This helps to relax the rectal and anal sphincter muscles to make it easier for the stool to pass through the anus. If this doesn't work then you may need to use an oil based enema to get things moving again. When I have been this constipated sometimes it helps to massage your abdomen for 5-10 minutes and and sit in a tub of hot water before and after taking a suppository or enema. It has worked for me so that it doesn't hurt quite so bad to pass the large hard stool. I hope this helps amd you get relief from this constipation soon.

Reply Reply