It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
(female)

jg37 HB User
anal fissure-->abscess--> fistula = Surgery

Hi

To make a long story short, I had a chronic fissure that turned into an abscess that got ulgy 3 wks ago. Now it might be a fistula but we can't be sure because it is too painful. The surgeon drained the abscess 3 weeks ago. I had a follow up appt last week. Luckly for me, I was getting alot more pressure and aching all day. He said there is swelling and the abscess is back and still draining. I am scheduled for surgery at 7 am on Dec 19. He said that I am in a holding pattern and at this point, surgery is the only option. I am a bit confused on if I am getting general or sedated. I have arranged medical transport.

He plans to go in, do a better exam, clean up the infection, find the fistula tract using some type of blue dye, do a fissurectomy and possibly put in a seton to let the abscess drain. He may have to remove hemorrhoids around the area where the seton is. Then in March, I will go back and he will remove the seton and put a plug in.

I am very nervous about this. I never thought in a million years that I would have surgery down there. I avoided it 4 yrs ago when they first suggested getting this fixed. Now, putting it off caused further damage. I will have a couple weeks to recover, which he said should be enough time. I will have the seton to deal with until March.

If anyone has gone through this, how was it? Do you regret it? Did it help? What was the first couple days like? I got a call today from the hospital. It is hitting me that this time next week, surgery is done.

thanks
jg

Last edited by jg37; 12-12-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
(female)

greeneyez 1966 HB User
Re: anal fissure-->abscess--> fistula = Surgery

Hi there hope all goes well for u what kind of symptoms did u have and what kind of test did u have . About a month ago I had some rectal bleeding just that one time and I also had rectal itching and swelling I went to the er they did a rectal exam and said I had internal hemms and I was given meds but the probl didnt go away im stoll getting the pressur re in my rectum and it feels dry I went for a second opinion and they found nothing but im still getting the pressure I have a urinary tract infection so I dont kno if its from that or my bladder I was told it dropped do u think I could have a fissure

Old 12-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
(female)

jg37 HB User
Re: anal fissure-->abscess--> fistula = Surgery

Hi

A fissure is extremely painful. It is almost like passing glass through your anus. There was many times where I would be sweating bullets cause of the pain. I had bleeding and in the last month, alot of pus. I developed an abscess around the anus. I just recently started taking pain meds because the pain was too much.

As far as tests, I mostly had very painful exams. They drained pus and sent it to the lab for further testing. I had a colonoscopy 3 yrs ago and it was clear. They want to do another one because I guess fissures is tied to other colon problems. At this time, doing the prep with an open fissure, abscess, and possibly a fistula is too much. Surgeon agreed to hold off until the 2nd surgery.

I know with internal hemmorhoids, I do get pressure inside. With fissures and abscess, it feels like I am sitting on a golf ball. Very different pain from the hemmorhoids.

Hope this helps. I would go to a proctologist or colon rectal surgeon. I saw both and preferred the proctologist. He saw me when I had the abscess in full force. He spent close to an hour and a half with me. The surgeon saw me 2 wks later, spent 2 minutes with me and said I had no fissure. I went back to the proctologist for a follow up and the abscess is back. He seemed more experience with this issue.

Reply Reply