It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
(female)

simplyyer HB User
Hard Stools

I have never had regular or hard stools before. I use to go about once every week, or sometimes maybe even twice a week. Then when I was pregnant with my son (first child), I started getting very constipated during my third trimester. I couldn't go when I had to go. It was such a pain. Especially straining so hard with a big belly. After I had my child, it was so good to finally go when I needed to. But my stools were harder and I push harder than I usually do. They come out in a few, little hard balls. Now, six months later, I'm still having hard stools and I go every two or three times a day. I go more frequent than I usually do, and I like that because I heard it is normal, which I like normal. But wouldn't the hard stools stop by now? Also, the first few months of postpartum, I've had bleeding when I go. I'm sure they are fissures. But there was this one time where I had a bowel and the toilet water had a lot of blood in it. It scared me. It has gotten better as of right now, but it does hurt a little when I go. Probably from straining the hard stools. I drank more water than I usually do and it still doesn't help soften. I tried taking Colace and Exlax, but it doesn't help either. Exlax just gives me really bad stomach pain and I don't even go. My diet is the same before I even got pregnant, and even after. I'm not so sure if fiber would help. I ate a lot of food with fibers during my pregnancy. It helped a little with the constipation, but not all. I'm hoping nothing is wrong with me. How do I get rid of this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Hard Stools

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyyer View Post
I have never had regular or hard stools before. I use to go about once every week, or sometimes maybe even twice a week. Then when I was pregnant with my son (first child), I started getting very constipated during my third trimester. I couldn't go when I had to go. It was such a pain. Especially straining so hard with a big belly. After I had my child, it was so good to finally go when I needed to. But my stools were harder and I push harder than I usually do. They come out in a few, little hard balls. Now, six months later, I'm still having hard stools and I go every two or three times a day. I go more frequent than I usually do, and I like that because I heard it is normal, which I like normal. But wouldn't the hard stools stop by now? Also, the first few months of postpartum, I've had bleeding when I go. I'm sure they are fissures. But there was this one time where I had a bowel and the toilet water had a lot of blood in it. It scared me. It has gotten better as of right now, but it does hurt a little when I go. Probably from straining the hard stools. I drank more water than I usually do and it still doesn't help soften. I tried taking Colace and Exlax, but it doesn't help either. Exlax just gives me really bad stomach pain and I don't even go. My diet is the same before I even got pregnant, and even after. I'm not so sure if fiber would help. I ate a lot of food with fibers during my pregnancy. It helped a little with the constipation, but not all. I'm hoping nothing is wrong with me. How do I get rid of this?
How much water are you drinking a day ? How much fiber do you eat a day ?
In order for our stools not to be hard as rocks,we need to drink at least 64 oz. a day of water, and eat at least 25-30 grams a day of fiber.
I know how much it hurts to try to move our bowels when our stools are so hard. I have been a lifelong sufferer of chronic constipation since I was a very young child and I'm now 51. The bleeding you're experiencing is from the combination of hard stools,straining and forcing to pass the hard stools,not moving your bowels every day. When you have to strain and force that hard to push the stool out it causes a tiny tear inside your rectum.
This is what I do daily now to keep my bowels moving on a daily basis:
I eat a bowl of oatmeal with ground flax seed in it every day and 6 stewed apricots or prunes, either a pear or orange or berries with my lunch, 2 vegetables with my dinner at night. The vegetables that I find help me to go the next morning without fail are acorn and butternut squash,carrots,spinach,yams or sweet potoatoes,pumpkin.
I also have morning routine schedule for sitting on the toilet to move my bowels. I do this even before I take my shower. I allow up to 30 minutes on the toilet to move my bowels. I find it much easier to go if I listen to relaxing music and do slow deep breathing exercises. I helps to stimulate peristalsis and relax the sphincter muscles in your rectum and anus so that the stool just slides out. I hope this helps you so that you can move your bowels more often without so much pain.

Reply Reply