It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
(female)

saldiat HB User
Constant pain in colon, doctors won't listen

I'm getting to the point of desperation here. I've been to four different doctors over the past year and none of them take me seriously because of my age, I am 24 years old.

I have constant pain in my colon, usually its on the left side. It started about two years ago, in and around my birthday. Before that, I had pretty regular bowel movements. Then I started to get constipation more often that I blamed on stress because I moved out, experienced a loss in the family, and started working while I was working on my master's degree. But the constipation kept going and going until I notice my colon was aching all the time.

It feels like a dull ache most days, sometimes stabbing pain that happens maybe once or twice a week. It hurts for a couple of hours like that, then goes back to the dull ache. I have irregular bowel movements, bouts of diarrhea twice a month lasting three to four days and constipation when I'm not having diarrhea. When I do manage a normal movement, the stool is of a regular size. No blood in stool, but I always feel bloated, gassy and like I never completely empty. I've had blood tests done that show everything is normal except a deficiency in vitamins B12 and D, which I'm taking supplements for now. I've had countless fecal occult tests and there is never any blood. But for some reason none of the doctors I've seen even entertain the notion of giving me a colonscopy. I came short of begging the last doctor I saw to help me because the pain just never goes away.

Like I said, I've been to four different doctors and all of them tell me that I just have IBS and to adjust my diet and exercise. I adjusted diet and exercise for months now and my problems are only getting worse and not better. I eat everything they tell me to eat, avoid things they tell me to avoid, and I exercise religiously for 45 minutes every day.

I am really worried and extremely frustrated because no doctor seems to take me seriously. They keep blaming my diet, my stress, or "lack" of exercise and tell me that I'm too young to have colon cancer and that it's probably just IBS, but if that was true why am I in constant pain in my colon all of the time?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply