It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
(male)

Nego HB User
Unhappy Help with constipation problem.

Hi, I need some advice with my current situation that has been haunting me all my life basically.

I started having bowel problems really young about 4-5 yrs old, back then I do not know why but that's when my mom told me for some odd reason I just stopped going to the bathroom regularly and started holding it so laxatives were used. As I grew up I did stop relying on laxatives and started going somewhat without issues. Basically since I started doing okay I just went when I needed to but that would be 3-4 times weekly. People and some Docs would say I need to go at least once a day so throughout my life every now and then I would just take some laxatives when I felt I wasn't doing much.

But now things have been different because laxatives have not been working since around September when I took some milk of manesia (Magnesium Hydroxide) and I pooped some but then it was just water like liquid. This past couple weeks the I felt discomfort on my left side abdominal area and I thought it was because of exercise but then I just thought I'll take some laxatives to make sure because it's not really going away. I took a whole bottle of magnesium citrate 2 days ago and it resulted in no poop just liquid again then last night I took a suppository and nothing happened at all some normal cramps/mild pain in my lower bowel but no movement when I did go just white stuff came out (I think the suppository stuff).

Today I was going to take some Miralax even though it hasn't worked but I was going to give it a try but I really can't take it since I have a medical appointment for a job the next 2 days so I'm waiting till I'm done with that to take something because I think I have stool in my system.

I always had the impression that I will just have to deal with this issue all my life but I don't know what to do I need some help with my situation and what should I do now to make sure I'm not impacted or something.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Help with constipation problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nego View Post
Hi, I need some advice with my current situation that has been haunting me all my life basically.

I started having bowel problems really young about 4-5 yrs old, back then I do not know why but that's when my mom told me for some odd reason I just stopped going to the bathroom regularly and started holding it so laxatives were used. As I grew up I did stop relying on laxatives and started going somewhat without issues. Basically since I started doing okay I just went when I needed to but that would be 3-4 times weekly. People and some Docs would say I need to go at least once a day so throughout my life every now and then I would just take some laxatives when I felt I wasn't doing much.

But now things have been different because laxatives have not been working since around September when I took some milk of manesia (Magnesium Hydroxide) and I pooped some but then it was just water like liquid. This past couple weeks the I felt discomfort on my left side abdominal area and I thought it was because of exercise but then I just thought I'll take some laxatives to make sure because it's not really going away. I took a whole bottle of magnesium citrate 2 days ago and it resulted in no poop just liquid again then last night I took a suppository and nothing happened at all some normal cramps/mild pain in my lower bowel but no movement when I did go just white stuff came out (I think the suppository stuff).

Today I was going to take some Miralax even though it hasn't worked but I was going to give it a try but I really can't take it since I have a medical appointment for a job the next 2 days so I'm waiting till I'm done with that to take something because I think I have stool in my system.

I always had the impression that I will just have to deal with this issue all my life but I don't know what to do I need some help with my situation and what should I do now to make sure I'm not impacted or something.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by flipfleury; 12-31-2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Accidentally hit the submit button before I had actually wrote anything.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

I feel your pain and frustations with not having regular bowel movements. Yes,many doctors and many people think everyone should have a daily bowel movement for the best colon health but not everyone does. If your bowel movements aren't hard as rocks to pass without straining and forcing the stool out and a lot of pain and you go when you feel the urge then I think your normal rouine is alright for you. If you really want to make sure you move your bowels every day then increase your daily water intake to 64 oz. a day,eat 25-30 grams a day of fiber,have a set schedule for sitting on the toilet everyday for having a bowel movement. I allow up to 30 minutes for this . I found that if I listen to relaxing music and do slow deep breathing exercies while sitting on the toilet I can move my bowels without straining and forcing myself to push the stool out.
I also always had constipation problems in my early childhood and had to have suppositories and enemas to make me go and it still was very painful to go. I too, got into the bad habit of holding my bowel movements in because the fear of pain in order to go but all I did was make my constipation problems worse and all the more painful to go. Unfortunately this has caused my bowels not to move on a regular basis on their own and my bowel movements get very hard if I don't move them now every day. I have to make it a priority to sit on the toilet every day and make sure I move my bowels before I even get into the shower. I need the peace and quiet of the early morning before anyone else is up. I definately feel the difference in the ease of going when I get enough water and fiber in my diet the day before. I sure this will help you be on your way to having pain free regular bowel movements !

Old 01-19-2013, 01:49 AM   #4
(male)

Nego HB User

Hey thanks for the reply!

Well I have been dealing with the discomfort on my left side which now I will say its pain cuz it's gotten worse to the point where I can't stand for long periods of time before I feel pain. I am 90% sure it's due to my constipation.

Since this post I stopped taking anything to see how my bowel movements was going to be, I was having one about every 1-2 days and in one instance last week went 4 days with nothing also all BM were slightly hard to pass separate lumps telling me I was constipated. Decided for some magnesia milk on Thursday and yesterday I went once and that was it and it was sort of hard to pass through at first.

I been avoiding going to the doctor because A. Have no insurance ATM and B. they will probably tell me I'm constipated and just prescribe some more laxative that I can get on my own but I'm so tired of this pain that I'm about to go to a walk in care center and try my luck.

What should I do?

Reply Reply