It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
(female)

mszee HB User
Help Needed, Please!

Hello,

I have a history of chronic constipation that started when I was in the military about 14 years ago. I was told I had IBS-C back in 2004 and was on Zelnorm. Loved it! Then I went back and was put on Amitiza which did nothing. I have gone over a month without having a BM. I am now having very small bowel movements once a week after having my gall bladder unnecessarily removed a month ago. The offer no relief and I still feel miserable. I have a constant fullness, bloating (which hurts and makes me miserable), belching, passing foul gas, and extreme abdominal discomfort.

I have done it all teas, diet changes (no white foods, more fiber,fruits and vegies, less meat, no fried), and exercise. I even got colonics done but only gas ever came out while hooked on the machine. Mostly fluid in the toilet. I have taken magnesium citrate before which did not produce a BM for 2 days. I had to take a second. After having my gall bladder removed I tried having a BM for a week. I took a magnesium citrate and within 5 minutes crapped so much I literally lost 2 lbs. No joke everything that came out was solid. Had to flush 4 times during the act. Sorry for the TMI. So here I am feeling awful and wondering does anyone have any experience with this and possibly something that will offer a small bit of relief (I'm not asking for much)?

Old 12-31-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Help Needed, Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszee View Post
Hello,

I have a history of chronic constipation that started when I was in the military about 14 years ago. I was told I had IBS-C back in 2004 and was on Zelnorm. Loved it! Then I went back and was put on Amitiza which did nothing. I have gone over a month without having a BM. I am now having very small bowel movements once a week after having my gall bladder unnecessarily removed a month ago. The offer no relief and I still feel miserable. I have a constant fullness, bloating (which hurts and makes me miserable), belching, passing foul gas, and extreme abdominal discomfort.

I have done it all teas, diet changes (no white foods, more fiber,fruits and vegies, less meat, no fried), and exercise. I even got colonics done but only gas ever came out while hooked on the machine. Mostly fluid in the toilet. I have taken magnesium citrate before which did not produce a BM for 2 days. I had to take a second. After having my gall bladder removed I tried having a BM for a week. I took a magnesium citrate and within 5 minutes crapped so much I literally lost 2 lbs. No joke everything that came out was solid. Had to flush 4 times during the act. Sorry for the TMI. So here I am feeling awful and wondering does anyone have any experience with this and possibly something that will offer a small bit of relief (I'm not asking for much)?
I have had chronic constipation all of my life and was diagnosed with IBS-A in June of 1996. Although I alternate between constipation and diarrhea at times, but tend to get constipated very easily. If I don't make time every day to sit on the toilet and move my bowels then I have to strain and force myself the next day to move my bowels. If I don't drink enough water and eat enough fiber the day before then it takes me lot longer to go,as long as 30 minutes on the toilet just trying to go and it hurts a lot more. If I eat a bowl of oatmeal with ground flax seed and cinnamon and a bowl of 6 stewed prunes or apricots, and pears works the best for me to keep my BM's soft and regular. Sometimes taking Citrucel or Metamucil 2-3 times a day help to keep your bowels moving on regular basis. These fiber supplements aren't habit formong but help to keep water in your bm's which keep them soft . Make sure you drink at least 1 8 oz. glass of water after each dose. When I do go more than 48 hours without moving my bowels I use glycerin supository to help soften the hard stool inside my recum to make it easier to go.
I remember when I was a kid I would go anywhere from 3-7 days without movig my bowels and my mom would have to give me a suppository and enema to get me to go. Even though I had the suppository and enema, it would still give me really bad cramps and I still would have push down really hard on my lower abdomen to force the hard bm out. Because it always hurt so much to move my bowels, I got afraid to go. I started holding back from moving my bowels every time I got the urge to go. All I accomplished was making it more painful to go and got so that my bowels won't move on their own on a regular basis without a lot of conscious thought and effort on my part daily to make sure I move them every day. When I get lazy and don't eat,drink,move my bowels daily then I go right back to having to strain and force myself to go. If I can change my bad eating,drinking,bowel habits after 50 years so can you. I hope these suggestions will help you to get your bowels to move on a daily basis. You certainly will feel better and not be in so much pain from not moving your bowels on a regular basis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
(female)

mszee HB User
Re: Help Needed, Please!

Hi flipfleury! Thanks for the suggestions. I have done the prunes, steel cut oatmeal with flax, Miralax daily, and fresh fruits like peaches, strawberries, and 90 oz of water. I have used Metamucil in the past with no success. I still only go at most twice a week and that is if I'm lucky. When I go I always feel cheated as if there is more but it just won't come out no matter how long I sit there. It just drives me nuts. They are testing me now for MS to see if that has something to do with it. I have never had diarrhea.

Reply Reply