It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2012, 04:07 AM   #1
(male)

anandpinkikrish HB User
Talking Undergone sphincter repair

i have undergone sphincter repair on 30 march. how long it will take to completely recover me?
process of my surgery is as given below
MIPH done with HEM 3335
Few Haemostatis sutures taken with 3-0 vicryl
Circumferencial incision taken overn left perianal area
Divided ends of sphincters were identified & double brested with no. 1 PDS
Remaining wound was partially closed with2-0 vicryl
Jonac suppository kept
Dressing applied
N ow please tell me after these process my problem of anal continence speccialy with flatus and mucus incontinence will
completly be resolved and
if so then how long after surgery it will take to acheive positive results as now also i am suffering with anal continence with flatus. Please tell me is this a negative sign or it will take time.
That's all.

and if so how long it will take to get the prpear

Last edited by anandpinkikrish; 04-27-2012 at 01:13 AM. Reason: some additional details about surgical process

Old 04-21-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
re: Undergone sphincter repair

Hi it depends on the person the type of repair, the type of fistula or damage and the health of the person, how how good a job the surgeon did, whether or not there are complications such as infection or constipation ( some people use prune juice lots of fruits and veges, no meats or animal products no refined white flour products no junk food plenty of water especially in the morning after rising and exercise everyday after meals). Some people heal within a few weeks. Some people have as many as 4 surgeries some have said that they have had it 26 years. Setons seem to be rather poor with the results in some cases I hope that is not what you had. Some do go ahead and heal anyway. I did personally see one really good cure after surgery I don't know if that was a seton or not I don't think it was, but don't get too discouraged some heal nicely.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
anandpinkikrish (04-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2012, 02:20 AM   #3
(male)

anandpinkikrish HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpinkikrish View Post
i have undergone sphincter repair on 30 march. how long it will take to completely recover me?
process of my surgery is as given below
MIPH done with HEM 3335
Few Haemostatis sutures taken with 3-0 vicryl
Circumferencial incision taken overn left perianal area
Divided ends of sphincters were identified & double brested with no. 1 PDS
Remaining wound was partially closed with2-0 vicryl
Jonac suppository kept
Dressing applied
N ow please tell me after these process my problem of anal continence speccialy with flatus and mucus incontinence will
completly be resolved and
if so then how long after surgery it will take to acheive positive results as now also i am suffering with anal continence with flatus. Please tell me is this a negative sign or it will take time.
That's all.

and if so how long it will take to get the prpear
please reply soon.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I suppose if there is no infection or bleeding or complications it might heal faster. The doctor could be asked. I would check with him for the time to begin Kegal exercises to strenthen the muscles of the anus and pelvic floor, That is said to help some. One woman I knew after surgery just seemed to only have a little bit of flatus come out sometimes but no incontinence. Others are not so fortunate. If the doctor says it is fine I would start Kegal exercises as soon as allowed. The stiches in your case may not completely absorb for up to 3 months but if exercise is held back too long the muscles may become weaker. I would not do pushing during bowel movements very hard and I would restress how important it is to avoid constipation for the rest of one's life. If one has constipation a whole quart of warm water or prune juice taken one hour before a movement might be helpful. The slippery part of flax after simmering a couple tablespoons in a cup or so of water and straining out the seeds and drunk has helped one of my relatives. (the seeds themselves are not taken in they are thrown away, if not much slippery part is obtained they may be resimmered with a bit of water again). For women with an episiotomy I guess some of them are allowed to do Kegal exercises 2 to 3 days after surgery but they stressed that it was important to check with the doctor first to prevent any complications.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:44 AM   #5
(female)

Babygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB User

It will probably take you a year of doing daily kegels to get good results. KEGELS ARE VERY IMPORTANT! Personally my incontinence has gotten better, but the mucus has become worse than before surgery due to the fact that there is some nerve damage from the surgery and it's tighter and not everything comes out. Therefore some mucus stays behind after defecation and comes out later with flatulence. Maybe not the answer you wanted, but the truth. Sphincter repair is rarely a 100% fix and can cause new problems, as many women on this board have experienced. I wish you luck and hope you will not have problems after doing kegels. It took my wound 5 weeks to heal.

Closed Thread