It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
(female)

Kellisa HB User
Red face My post-hemo experience

I wanted to post to this site because I found other people's messages so helpful. Thanks to all who posted, although since most posts are years and years old, who knows if they still get read....

I just wanted to say be careful with all the laxatives they tell you to take post-op. I know I am very sensitive to all drugs and such, so I took the minimum - one colace tablet per day - one tablespoon Metamucil. I was eating minimally. Nothing at all happened for three days.

Instead of just upping those things - I know - DUH - I called the hospital, after not getting the doctor. (I never did hear back from him!) They recommended senna. I took ONE.

I was incontinent for the next week. The only other thing I took, after a couple of days, was one colace a day again, for two days, only because I didn't want to cold-turkey and have NO bowel-movement support. That is, it was pure liquid, but I didn't want it to turn to pure cement.

I realize now this wasn't a very well-thought-out plan and if I were to do it again, I would be more patient with myself. However, the fact remains that a relatively few laxatives and such made my bowels uncontrollably watery for a full week. I thought I was going to be in diapers for the rest of my life.

One final thing I learned was that I really really had to let myself be in pain to finally move any solid matter. It was scary, as if I'd be busting out some new hemorrhoids, as soon as possible, but it had to be done to get any results.

Hope you are having a better time than I did - I am finally doing better - tomorrow will be a full two weeks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
bowel incontinence, laxatives, post -op