It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
(male)

Mattmoo74 HB User
Sigmoidoscopy - don't fret!

Hi all,

I'm new on here (regards being a member that is) but have visited this site (amongst others) before, in trying to gain as much info on flexi Sig's as possible. I had one today but have been reading up on all I could so I was well prepared.

To tell you I was nervous would be a monumental understatement - for 2 days I've been unable to concentrate, been off my food, unable to sleep properly, and generally irritable - as nearly 100% of case studies I had read about this procedure were nothing short of horror stories! The word 'torture' was used more than a handful of times, so that didn't help much!

Well, today rolled around and soon enough it was enema o clock. I had never done it before. To administer it was not too bad as I could go at my own pace and not rush. Within 20 mins two explosions had taken place so I felt confident enough to leave the house shortly afterward to head to hospital. I unfortunately had a two hour delay which gave me more time than ideal to mull over the unpleasantness ahead, but then I bumped into a lovely chap called Mike, who had had a FS before and managed to calm my nerves somewhat.

When I was called in I opted for the sedation. I did get some stern objection from the nurse - a real stiff upper lip sort, but I didn't back down. They grudgingly gave me a minute amount of whatever it was - and then the doc firmly shoved his finger up me. Sedative had not touched the sides, but his digit sure did. That hurt. I expressed my discomfort, and he said 'THAT hurt?' It was then I felt extremely vulnerable.

Straight after, in went the scope. Again, faster than I'd have liked, but once in, it really was fine. Maybe he wanted to get home? The air used to inflate the bowel was not painful - just makes you want to poo, which the enema made sure was impossible. My scope travelled all the way into the transverse colon, and negotiating the bends was painless.

All in all, had he been a little less 'progressive', the whole thing would have been fine. I would be ok with this procedure again, although would never request it!

To sum up, don't worry (easy for me to say I know), opt for sedative, and ask the doc to go slow. Oh, and the enema is probably the worst bit! Some folks have had truly terrible experiences I know, maybe I was lucky. But honestly, my fear was 10 out of 10. Procedure pain was 4 out of 10.

Hope this helps in any way. Good luck

Matt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply