It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
(female)

NHChic HB User
Need valuable input please! Ischemic Colitis?

Hi. In Nov, had extreme cramps, unlike anything experienced before.
suffered for whole day. Next day, went to ER, they diagnosed Pancreatitis.
Never had that before. They did a CT Scan, and it also stated that I had
bowel wall thickening of descending colon, and ischemic colitis cannot be ruled out. Nothing was mentioned about this in the ensuing days as they were concentrating on my pancreas problem.

I just had my gallbladder out, as they feel this was causing the pancreas issues. They found no stones, nothing. Only sludge.

I have always had severe constipation. I am 44, non drinker, female.

Im wondering if those severe pains were actually related to the bowels. I did not have any pain around the upper part of abdomen, only below belly button.

The night before I went to ER, I really thought I had a blockage. Couldnt pass gas or go to the bathroom.

Now that the surgery is over, I finally talked to my GP and she is sending me to gastro on Wed. There may be no connection, but my uncle is dying from colon cancer.

I dont think I have cancer at all. But should I insist on a colonoscopy?

Everyone tells me im too young to have Ischemic colitis and all that.

Any input and experience would be beneficial.

I also have diverticulosis.

Just want to be proactive and advocate for myself.

All i hear Is, you are too young too young, and then Im afraid to proceed forward with taking care of myself.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Need valuable input please! Ischemic Colitis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHChic View Post
Hi. In Nov, had extreme cramps, unlike anything experienced before.
suffered for whole day. Next day, went to ER, they diagnosed Pancreatitis.
Never had that before. They did a CT Scan, and it also stated that I had
bowel wall thickening of descending colon, and ischemic colitis cannot be ruled out. Nothing was mentioned about this in the ensuing days as they were concentrating on my pancreas problem.

I just had my gallbladder out, as they feel this was causing the pancreas issues. They found no stones, nothing. Only sludge.

I have always had severe constipation. I am 44, non drinker, female.

Im wondering if those severe pains were actually related to the bowels. I did not have any pain around the upper part of abdomen, only below belly button.

The night before I went to ER, I really thought I had a blockage. Couldnt pass gas or go to the bathroom.

Now that the surgery is over, I finally talked to my GP and she is sending me to gastro on Wed. There may be no connection, but my uncle is dying from colon cancer.

I dont think I have cancer at all. But should I insist on a colonoscopy?

Everyone tells me im too young to have Ischemic colitis and all that.

Any input and experience would be beneficial.

I also have diverticulosis.

Just want to be proactive and advocate for myself.

All i hear Is, you are too young too young, and then Im afraid to proceed forward with taking care of myself.

Thank you.
Yes,the nausea could be from not moving your bowels for more than 5-10 days in a row. When you say all they found was sludge,do mean poop backed up in the desending colon ? I would get the colonoscopy just to be on the safe side and maybe they can figure out what is causing the bowel wall thickening.
Do you know the longer stool or poop stays in the colon the more toxins build up and absorb into the colon . The more stool build up in colon gas gets trapped behind it and can cause a lot of pain in your lower abdomen.
I can understand your pain and misery with always being constipated because I have suffered with chronic constipation since very early childhood. I remember my mom having to give me both a suppository and enema in order to get me to go after not going from anywhere from 3-7 days in a row. Even after having both the suppository and enema it was excruiating to try to pass all that old hard stool. I was so afraid to go because it hurt so much to go when I did that I startd ignoring and holding back my bowel movements on a regular consistent basis. All I succeeded in doing is making my chronic constipation problems even worse. Now I have to make sure that I make time every day to sit on the toilet until I have moved my bowels before leaving for work or church. I have to be consistent in eating enough fiber and drinking enough water every day so that it doesn't hurt to pass the stool. I now know that I can no longer go beyond 48 hours without moving my bowels or I can't go on the 3 rd day without straining and forcing myself to go. I now use a glycerin suppository if I reach the 48 hour mark and haven't moved my bowels. It makes it easier to pass the stool. I hope things go better for you soon and are able to move your bowels on more consistent basis.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
(female)

NHChic HB User
Re: Need valuable input please! Ischemic Colitis?

Hi.. I meant sludge in Gallbladder, no stones, but sand like particles that can plug ducts also.
Thanks for the info. I do have glycerin supp on hand. Now, because Im taking Flagyll and Cipro for diverticulitis, I have loose stools. Can't win, lol, but at least Im not constipated at the moment.

Im not sure what they would find on a colonoscopy anyway, they didnt find any polyps on CT scan, but my lower colon was backed up with stool.

I wish you the best. Just want to feel better. Ive been pretty healthy for a long time. I just keep waiting for the ball to drop again.

Take care.

Reply Reply