It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
(female)

redjb7 HB User
Help with lower l. abdominal ache - 2 weeks

2 weeks ago I began to have abdominal aching in my left lower abdomen. It came and went in severity, so I waited for five days before I saw my PCP. He barely felt my gut, but when I described where the discomfort was he said it was probably diverticulitis (I told him I did have a diverticulosis diagnosis several years ago) and handed me STRONG antibiotics - no blood test. I also told him I had been straining at stools lately and that I was somewhat constipated (Sorry to be so descriptive). The next day I went to my gastro and asked him - he didn't bother to check my gut, but instead handed me a script to get a ct scan over the weekend, just to rule out diverticultis (although he admitted that did not completely rule it out). He also suggested that if the ct was clear we might stop the antibiotics. I took the drugs for three days and had such severe diarrhea that the PA on the weekend took me off. She wasn't convinced my ache warranted that strong of drug. I also did not do the CT because I did not want to be exposed to that much radiation (and expense). I kept taking the miralax the gastro told me to take and that at least kept things moving through. The Gastro also ordered blood count which turned out to be fine (it was done two days after I had started the antibiotics).
I went back to the PA and she ordered an abdomen ultrasound, which I did this morning. She did feel my abdomen for some time and said that if the test us was good that I probably had a hernia.( When I had the test I had to convince the tech, however, to actually check the lower quadrant where the pain is, because the script was only for abdomen not pelvis. The tech also told me that it would not tell much about diverticulitis or anything in the colon.
So here I am knowing I won't hear from anybody til next week (PA is gone tomorrow) and still hurting. My back hurts sometimes, my belly feels swollen sometimes, and it is uncomfortable to sleep on the left side sometimes. I told them all that when I urinate I often ache for a while afterwards. The urine was tested, but that was after I had taken some antibiotics. I was even thinking of doing the cat scan tomorrow, because if I can get in to a place during the week it is much cheaper than a hospital I might have to go to on the weekend. I am hesitating, because last year I had about three cat scans - (not abdomen) and don't want to expose myself. I am 62 years old, so maybe it doesn't matter at this age anyway Any suggestions? I am stupified about the seeming lack of care and half baked approach some doctors and medical people exhibit. The gastro never even bothered to call me about the blood work. It seems I have to come up with my own answers. Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply