It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
(female)

parrotlady72 HB User
Question Sphincterplasty- Long term results???

Would like to know results of those who have had R/V fistula repair with sphincterplasty. I have read a lot of posts from several years ago and I am wondering how it is going now that everything is healed...the long term outcome of the surgery. Thanks for any information

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
(female)

Babygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB User
Re: Sphincterplasty- Long term results???

I didn't have a R/V but had a s-plasty 2 years ago. In the beginning I had a BM many times a day, I couldn't get it all out in one go and couldn't feel if there was still some BM in there I'm pretty sure that this is due to nerve damage from the surgery, I had no nerve damage prior to the surgery and afterwards (due to the Y-incision, where they cut across and therefore severe nerves) the area was more numb and I couldn't always feel if there was something in the rectum. I was pretty annoyed by this, even though in general my muscles were working better than before.
Luckily the nerves are now gradually starting to come back, so I can feel more of what's happening down there and I usually have a BM once a day now and can hold it in more than long enough to get to a bathroom (unlike before, when I had to rush).
My advice is that if you don't need a s-plasty, don't do it. What is your main issue, the fistula or have you also got a severe tear of the muscle? The outcome of my surgery is better now than right afterwards. Hopefully the nerves will continue to grow back and it will work better and better with time. Also having a smaller passage way (they make your anus smaller) is not always easy to pass all the stool, I've read about others complaining about this. I wish they would change the surgery since it is already 20 years old and they still do the exact same surgery.
If I could ever give these surgeons a tip, it would be not to do the incision across the perineum (ie. severing more nerves than necessary) or make the anus too tight, but I guess they have some protocol to follow.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
(female)

parrotlady72 HB User

Thank you for you're reply. I will find out today when the surgeon is going to do the s-plasty. I have a rectovaginal fistula that abcessed. After further exam, i have the U shaped rectal muscles and not donut shaped (no thanks to the joys of child birth). I have a drain in now. I read all the prior posts and was wondering how the surgery fairs down the road. I have read a lot of studies and i am just a bit nervous.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
(female)

Babygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB UserBabygirl43 HB User

Well, for me things have improved the past 2 years. But how it will be in 20 years, I have no idea. If you have U-shaped muscles now, it's also not a good sign for the future.
I think that THE most important thing you can do to ensure a good long term outcome is to do kegel excersises everyday until the day you're so old you can't remember to do them!

The Following User Says Thank You to Babygirl43 For This Useful Post:
parrotlady72 (01-17-2013)
Closed Thread

Tags
incontinence, rectovaginal fistula, sphincteroplasty