It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Terlin HB User
Difficult bowel movements

I have to strain every time for a bowl movement , going on 2 years happened after inguinal hernia surgery about 2 mo. Seems like I can't completely evacuate. Severe bloating painful to sit. Had defagram and passed with a lot of straining had an upper gi with small bowel follow through had a mamomatry test which were with in limits except for baloon expulsion test that took to long to get out. They said I had pelvic floor dysinergy. They had me take enimas laxitives and miralax, things got worse now couldnt pass bowel prep for colonoscopy took 2 days of straining now I take one cap of miralax at nite eat lots of fiber when stool is larger i can pass but I have no urge to go just abdominal pain and don't feel complete. Seems like rectum has gone numb and also have difficult initiating urinating. Ben through months of biofeedback. Gastro says have to live this way so painful to sit can hardly sit for more than 30 min please help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Difficult bowel movements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terlin View Post
I have to strain every time for a bowl movement , going on 2 years happened after inguinal hernia surgery about 2 mo. Seems like I can't completely evacuate. Severe bloating painful to sit. Had defagram and passed with a lot of straining had an upper gi with small bowel follow through had a mamomatry test which were with in limits except for baloon expulsion test that took to long to get out. They said I had pelvic floor dysinergy. They had me take enimas laxitives and miralax, things got worse now couldnt pass bowel prep for colonoscopy took 2 days of straining now I take one cap of miralax at nite eat lots of fiber when stool is larger i can pass but I have no urge to go just abdominal pain and don't feel complete. Seems like rectum has gone numb and also have difficult initiating urinating. Ben through months of biofeedback. Gastro says have to live this way so painful to sit can hardly sit for more than 30 min please help
I feel bad that you're having such a hard time trying to move your bowels. I can understand some of what you're going through because I have had chronic constipation problems all of my life up until about almost 2 years ago. it's very painful to have to strain that hard to try to have a bowel movement.
This is what I learned about my constipation problem. I was causing it by not eting enough fiber, drinking enough water, not taking the time to sit on the toilet to go when I first got the urge to go.
I now know that I must take the time to have a bowel movement every day at the same time and to allow up to 30 minues on the toilet every morning before I even get into the shower. When I eat at least 20-30 grams of fiber a day and drink at least 64 oz. a day of water then it only takes me 2-5 minutes on the toilet to have a bowel movement. I listen to relaxing music while I do slow deep breathing exercises. The slow deep breathing exercises helps me to move my bowels and I don't have to strain and force myself to go. Citrucel and metamucil are good ways to help you maintain regularity and keep your BM's soft enough to pass without straining. I also don't allow myself to go without moving my bowels for more than 48 hours from the time of my last BM. I use a glycerin suppository to help me to go without having to strain o go. I hope this will help you in some way.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Terlin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipfleury View Post
I feel bad that you're having such a hard time trying to move your bowels. I can understand some of what you're going through because I have had chronic constipation problems all of my life up until about almost 2 years ago. it's very painful to have to strain that hard to try to have a bowel movement.
This is what I learned about my constipation problem. I was causing it by not eting enough fiber, drinking enough water, not taking the time to sit on the toilet to go when I first got the urge to go.
I now know that I must take the time to have a bowel movement every day at the same time and to allow up to 30 minues on the toilet every morning before I even get into the shower. When I eat at least 20-30 grams of fiber a day and drink at least 64 oz. a day of water then it only takes me 2-5 minutes on the toilet to have a bowel movement. I listen to relaxing music while I do slow deep breathing exercises. The slow deep breathing exercises helps me to move my bowels and I don't have to strain and force myself to go. Citrucel and metamucil are good ways to help you maintain regularity and keep your BM's soft enough to pass without straining. I also don't allow myself to go without moving my bowels for more than 48 hours from the time of my last BM. I use a glycerin suppository to help me to go without having to strain o go. I hope this will help you in some way.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Terlin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipfleury View Post
Did you have severe abdominal pain were you can't sit? And we're you dx with pelvic floor dysfunction. Even when I do go usually every morning i really can't feel the stool coming out and feel not complete and still have bloating pain. Eat lots of fruit and veggies and drink over 64 oz of water.

Reply Reply