It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
(female)

LTMomma HB User
Unhappy CT showed inflamed colon-what could be the cause?

I have always struggled with constipation and got bad enough a few years ago that I had a colonoscopy to figure out why laxatives hadn't even been helping. The colonoscopy was clean, just showed internal hemorrhoids and was told to use miralax daily. The miralax was an issue because I couldn't find a good dose that didn't cause runny stools. I quit and did my best to keep regular. Well, after my 4th pregnancy, the constipation has been an issue. My son is 12months old now and it just hasn't been regular often.

About a month ago, a stomach bug swept through our house an I had diarrhea for about 24 hours. I recovered quickly and moved on. But a week or so later I began experiencing lower left abdominal tenderness...not pain, just tender when I moved or bent in certain ways. No other symptoms besides some lower back pain, and never enough to interfere with my daily activities and has never been enough to make me want to take ibuprofen or anything for it. It's just "there" and noticeable. I thought it might be constipation, so I have change my diet to include more water and better fiber foods. I have had a normal bowel movement every morning for over 2 weeks now. The tenderness persisted so I visited my dr who ordered a ct scan. The scan revealed inflammation in the colon and the dr report said "diverticulitis cannot be ruled out", so he has prescribed cipro and a follow up with my GI if this doesn't take care of it.

I am a very anxious person when it comes to Health stuff and I jump to the worst conclusions most times when its completely unnecessary. I have researched the inflamed colon and causes and I just can't find much aside from IBS or UC, and I don't have blood or diarrhea which are pretty common with those. I am so scared it could be colon cancer and can't even focus at this point.

What would cause a tender inflamed colon with no other symptoms?

I'm on my 2nd day of cipro and not noticing any difference, but I'm also hyper aware right now too.

Can someone Help ease my worries and fears? Would the ct scan have showed colon cancer if that was what was causing the inflammation? What could be going on?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
(female)

abby20 HB User
Re: CT showed inflamed colon-what could be the cause?

mine was sudden onset grocery shopping. from the ER to the 2.5 days in the hospital was a nightmare. They used IV starters way to big for my small veins. Blew 4, had to call in the ultrasound guy and he nearly blew the 5th, it kept rolling again the IV starter was WAY bigger than my biggest vein. I've had lots of IV's and beyond the little pinch, they are never painful ALL 5 of these were the worst I've ever experienced.

Then the dr lied about the drug they used, said it had few side effects, nausea, runs, or maybe a little vomiting. I looked up Zoysin when I got home it has NINE full pages of HORRID side effects. Went temp blind in my R eye along with a lot of muscle and joint pain. Having FMS and a drug that causes more pain is not a good pairing.

YOU NURSES IF YOU CAN'T GAUGE THE SIZE OF THE VEIN YOU ARE TRYING TO ACCESS GET SOME ONE ELSE TO DO IT! YOU CAUSE UNNESSARY PAIN! AND I HOPE YOU ARE ON THE RECEIVING END ONE DAY A POX ON ALL OF YOU VEIN BLOWERS!

Old 10-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTMomma View Post
I have always struggled with constipation and got bad enough a few years ago that I had a colonoscopy to figure out why laxatives hadn't even been helping. The colonoscopy was clean, just showed internal hemorrhoids and was told to use miralax daily. The miralax was an issue because I couldn't find a good dose that didn't cause runny stools. I quit and did my best to keep regular. Well, after my 4th pregnancy, the constipation has been an issue. My son is 12months old now and it just hasn't been regular often.
About a month ago, a stomach bug swept through our house an I had diarrhea for about 24 hours. I recovered quickly and moved on. But a week or so later I began experiencing lower left abdominal tenderness...not pain, just tender when I moved or bent in certain ways. No other symptoms besides some lower back pain, and never enough to interfere with my daily activities and has never been enough to make me want to take ibuprofen or anything for it. It's just "there" and noticeable. I thought it might be constipation, so I have change my diet to include more water and better fiber foods. I have had a normal bowel movement every morning for over 2 weeks now. The tenderness persisted so I visited my dr who ordered a ct scan. The scan revealed inflammation in the colon and the dr report said "diverticulitis cannot be ruled out", so he has prescribed cipro and a follow up with my GI if this doesn't take care of it.

I am a very anxious person when it comes to Health stuff and I jump to the worst conclusions most times when its completely unnecessary. I have researched the inflamed colon and causes and I just can't find much aside from IBS or UC, and I don't have blood or diarrhea which are pretty common with those. I am so scared it could be colon cancer and can't even focus at this point.

What would cause a tender inflamed colon with no other symptoms?

I'm on my 2nd day of cipro and not noticing any difference, but I'm also hyper aware right now too.

Can someone Help ease my worries and fears? Would the ct scan have showed colon cancer if that was what was causing the inflammation? What could be going on?
It could be from the virus you had. The stomach virus that caused the diarrhea may have also irritated the intestinal lining which in turn caused inflammation. You might want to start taking acidophilus or yogurt every day 2-3 times a day to help restore the good bacteria in your intestines that may have been destroyed by the virus and or antibiotics.
As far as your chronic constipation goes, I can feel the pain you must have and go through just to move your bowels. I have suffered from chronic constipation and IBS all of my life. I can only tell you what I have found to work the best for me to combat being constipated all of the time:
1. Drink at least 64 oz. of water daily.
2. Eat 25-30 grams of fiber a day.
3. Take Citrucel in the morning at and night.
4. I sit on the toilet for at least 30 minutes every morning to move my bowels.
5. I use a glycerin suppository to help me to go, if I haven't moved my bowels within 48 hours after my last bowel movement.
6. I do not excessively strain or force myself to have a BM. I use slow deep breathing exercises to help relax my muscles so it's easier to go.
I hope this helps you like it has for me.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:29 AM   #4
(female)

abby20 HB User

My suggestion is do not mess with the weak strain of Acidopholis in yogurt. Get you a 10-50 Billion multi-strain Acidopholis, FloraStat makes a good one available at GNC. Pricy but worth it. I've spent the past year with ab pain the result of 2 falls, 1 on my ab bruising the entire ab and ribcage wall, the second on the L-4/5 Compression fracture, and in between the Physio Therapist POPPED the compression fracture out of place. That is when the ab issues really started getting worse. I watch what I eat, How I sit or walk because of the pain. Knowing certain foods will set off a spasm of gas bubbles in my colon. I avoid all spicy stuff and especially foods known to cause gas like cabbage, broccili and those type foods.

Your L 3-5 lumbar disc controls your bowel and bladder. You could always ask for Chron's testing it makes one miserable bowel wise and a strict gluten free diet is needed.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:39 AM   #5
(female)

abby20 HB User

Benifiber is tasteless and really helps with bulking the colon up so it moves move freely. Take it at night before you go to bed, it can be put in any thing or just water.

Reply Reply

Tags
colon cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, lower left abdomen