It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
(female)

jeni777 HB User
Colonoscopy does it hurt?

Hi I am a 38 year old female and having a colonoscopy on 2/11. I know that they are giving me fentanyl and something else for pain. Will I remember anything? Does it hurt? Will I even know if it hurt? What should I expect? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Colonoscopy does it hurt?

Hi...the clean-out prep seems to be a worse experience in my opinion, but it depends sometimes on which one is used. So which prep did the doc suggest?

The c-scope is uncomfortable because air is put into the colon to distend it so that the scope can go through. Going around the curved areas (mostly at the upper left area) can be like baad period cramps, but the pain meds do help.

Just to let you know...I request the Fentanyl but prefer to not have the Versed (mild amnesiac) that my doc includes. I want to remember what's going on because I watch the monitor (I have ulcerative colitis) and ask questions if I need to. My doc also takes about 30 - 36 biopsies each time..so it's a process.

Many prefer to be sleeping and not remember anything. Sometimes they do wake up and are relaxed enough to watch the monitor.
I think some doctors want their patients to be asleep....but it should be a preference of the patient to be out or not.

The med will make you woozy, stoned and a bit out of it. It might be enough to have you fall asleep, it might not. Depending. I get the same amount as my doc's other patients and I stay awake, but pleasantly drugged (so to say). The discomfort is easier to breathe through, and it's only for a very short period of time.

The scope will start at the anus/rectum and go all the way up the left side, across from there to the right, down the right to the terminal ileum (last part of the small intestine).

It's easy on the way back...that's when anything is removed such as polyps, and biopsies if the doc is taking any.

Anticipating the first one is nerve wracking , but think of the worth of getting it done. I've had 9 done in the past 24 years by the same doctor, and due for the next one this summer. he'll be retiring some time later this year, and I'll admit that having to have it done by another doctor...I'll probably have the jitters the first time.

Let me know how it goes for you.

quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
(male)

elliotgb HB User
Smile Re: Colonoscopy does it hurt?

The prep IS worse! Honestly, I had a lot of fear and anticipation preceeding my procedure and always seemed to find an excuse to delay it.

Big mistake on my part. The procedure went great and I don't remember anything except breathing in some nice oxygen, the anesthesiologist saying the team's all here and get ready to fly.

I woke up in the recovery room, briefly recall talking to my doc and my wife was there to make sure all the details were understood. Absolutely no pain at all and I had 3 hyperplastic polyps removed. Not even any bleeding or discomfort afterwards. Got some real nice color pics of the areas where the polyps were removed and some explanations for some mild diverticulitis and hemorrhoids.

Got some instructions on a fiber diet to follow and actually went out and had a McDonald's Big Breakfast afterwards. Wife warned me against eating the sausage. I ate it anyway and no ill effects.

They always have to warn you of the risks and I think I had that repeated about 3 times. If I had known how easy the whole thing was going to be, I would have never postponed it.

I am also good for 10 years!

Good Luck!

Reply Reply