It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
(female)

Boonoo HB User
Should I get a colonoscopy?

Hey everyone. I'm 21, and about three weeks ago I started experiencing rectal bleeding, followed by constipation a week later. The blood was bright red and I experienced no pain whatsoever, but I went to my doctor anyway. He checked my rectum and told me he couldn't find anything, but that it was most likely internal hemorrhoids located farther up. He gave me stool softeners to reduce the constipation, and told me that if I was still bleeding in one week I should visit a colon doctor. This was on Monday.

On Tuesday, I pooped a lot, and there was blood, but less and less each time I went. From last Wednesday up until this Wednesday, there has been no blood whatsoever.

However, after the blood disappeared I started experiencing pain in my lower left abdominal quadrant, a tight feeling on the sides of my ribcage, nausea upon waking up a couple of times, nausea while eating or after eating, and intense heartburn. I've also been feeling a slight itch in my lower abdomen. I never feel all the symptoms at once. They shift, and they're off and on.

I went to the doctor again and told him that my blood and constipation had gone away, but that I was now experiencing a bunch of new, miserable symptoms. He gave me a sample of nexium and sent me to get an x-ray of my abdomen.

I was scared to death that I had stomach cancer, but I got the results and they told me that it was just constipation. I was given a laxative called senna, which made me go diarrhea all day.

I'm still really scared that something is wrong with me, like colon cancer. I'm only 21! What should I do? My doctor didn't even recommend that I get a Colonoscopy, since the bleeding stopped.

What does this sound like to you guys? I'm really nervous and scared.

Last edited by Boonoo; 02-07-2013 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Needed a more specific title.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
(female)

cibolagirl HB User
Re: Should I get a colonoscopy?

I doubt very very seriously you have colon cancer. Sounds more like diverticulitis but probably not even that. This can occur in ppl your age.

If the blood is bright red it does usually indicate hemorrhoids. Blood from much farther up is usually dark almost black.
Let us know what you find out.

The lower left pain could be ovulation.
With morning nausea ...could you be pregnant?

Reply Reply